Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid engine mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid engine mounting

I hope this is in the right thread but I am wanting to take a salvage c5 corvette which has the rear transaxle and turn it into a mid engine car. I would be cutting and lengthening the frame in the middle and cutting off the excess frame in the front and rear. My question is would it be an issue on removing the torque tube and mounting an engine directly to the transmission with a custom adaptor and having a small cv shaft of some sort to connect the engine to the transmission if need be. I know the torque tube is there for ridgitity but I will be making a full roll cage. I would also use the automatic transmission instead of the manual. Hopefully finding a torque converter won’t be too hard.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Swap in a 300mm Input Drum Along with a extended pilot converter, 300mm bellhousing, & a Dished Flexplate.........This will allow you to mount the Transmission & Transaxle directly to the engine using 100% factory parts.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Swap in a 300mm Input Drum Along with a extended pilot converter, 300mm bellhousing, & a Dished Flexplate.........This will allow you to mount the Transmission & Transaxle directly to the engine using 100% factory parts.
ok i will look into that more. Hopefully it will all work together because I am wanting to put a lmm duramax in front of it!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I wished you lived closer.
I need a friend with lots of transmission knowledge.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Al3x2015
ok i will look into that more. Hopefully it will all work together because I am wanting to put a lmm duramax in front of it!
You didn't mention a Duramax in you original post, I assumed you would be using the LS1 from the Vette.

Even in a feather weight car....If you ever got traction, A LMM would be hell on a 4L60E.

I believe the Duramax has the same crank spacing as Gen 1 SBC's & BBC's, So you would need a 298mm Bellhousing, C5 4L60E's already have a 298mm Input Drum/Turbine shaft.

The Durmax used in Vans had a 4L80E behind them, But NOT sure if the flexplate is the same in Allison 1000 versions, Pretending they are the same.....You will need to drill a new set of torque bolt holes OR have a converter built with a 11.50" bolt circle vs the 10.75" bolt circle found on stock 298mm converters.

First thing I would do is put the 298mm C5 converter on the back of the Duramax to see if it engages in the crank.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I wished you lived closer.
I need a friend with lots of transmission knowledge.
You could move to Texas
Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You could move to Texas
He just might do that when Winter hits Ohio.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Teching In

You didn't mention a Duramax in you original post, I assumed you would be using the LS1 from the Vette.

Even in a feather weight car....If you ever got traction, A LMM would be hell on a 4L60E.

I believe the Duramax has the same crank spacing as Gen 1 SBC's & BBC's, So you would need a 298mm Bellhousing, C5 4L60E's already have a 298mm Input Drum/Turbine shaft.

The Durmax used in Vans had a 4L80E behind them, But NOT sure if the flexplate is the same in Allison 1000 versions, Pretending they are the same.....You will need to drill a new set of torque bolt holes OR have a converter built with a 11.50" bolt circle vs the 10.75" bolt circle found on stock 298mm converters.

First thing I would do is put the 298mm C5 converter on the back of the Duramax to see if it engages in the crank.
yeah I was doing research yesterday and found out that they used the 4l80e in the vans and I was planning on getting the duramax from a salvage truck or van anyway so I can use all the parts so that may work in my favor. Do you know if the bolt pattern and spline is the same after you remove the tail stock on the 4l80e to bolt up to the c5 differential?

Quick Reply: Mid engine mounting