Sponsored by:

4L60E 1-2 shift and OD slip

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E 1-2 shift and OD slip

Hey everyone,
I need your help, I have a 99 trans am. Not much done to it over stock, just a very mild cam and a 2800 stall. Now the trans is giving me two problems.

At first the trans has given me problems shifting at WOT from 1-2. However this doesn't happen all of the time. Sometimes the shift is very smooth and firm, sometimes it hangs at about 6000rpm then shifts.

Now a new issue, just started today, the trans has been having a problem locking up in OD above 70-75mph. The rpms go from about 2000-2200 while I hold the throttle steady.

Anyone know why the trans is doing this, and how I can fix these problems?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

It makes me think "sensor" issue, TPS or MAF maybe?
Double check the fluid level, Overfill by a 1/2 quart for testing purposes if nothing else.
Has your car been tuned by a reputable tuner?
Do you have logging capability? (HPtuners)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Something interesting happened on my drive home. When the converter unlocks, I put the brake on slightly eith the gas, and when I got off the brake the converter locked back up. Not sure why, maybe this can help pinpoint the problem.

Anyway, my car was tuned by Julio at Cartek, so I think the tune should be fine. Also, I don't have logging capability.
I'm hoping it's something small like a 'sensor' issue, I did see some people with the OD problem say it's a TCC solenoid, but could that be causing my 1-2 shift problem as well? Without logging capability what should I do to try to find the problem?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

The brake switch has 2 sets of contact, A N/C set for the TCC & a N/O set for the brake lights. The switch could be bad or out of adjustment, A new Delco switch is cheap enough.

I would need to know if the 1-2 shift is being commanded or not when it hangs on you.....Along with the TPS & VSS readings.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The brake switch has 2 sets of contact, A N/C set for the TCC & a N/O set for the brake lights. The switch could be bad or out of adjustment, A new Delco switch is cheap enough.

I would need to know if the 1-2 shift is being commanded or not when it hangs on you.....Along with the TPS & VSS readings.
Since I don't have the ability to check that I guess my best bet is to go back to my tuner and have him check for all of that. And I am going to order that switch now. Thanks for the help, hope I can't fix thede 2 problems

Quick Reply: 4L60E 1-2 shift and OD slip