Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What variation of the 4L60E will fit my car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What variation of the 4L60E will fit my car?

so im looking for a tranny and i found a used tranny which was rebuilt. i got a 1995 z28 with a built lt1. the transmission is the second variation of the 4l60e trannys. the 2 piece 4l60e. was wondering if it would work.

this is what the tranny looks like from the guy im talking to
Old 12-28-2017, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 146 Posts

The 4L60E is an electronic transmission that will need either a powertrain control module that supports it or a separate transmission control module for it. You will need to find somebody local to you that is savvy in tuning these modules or possibly mail them off for a tune and cross your fingers. No idea if it will fit a 95 Z28 with an LT1 - might need cutting on the floor or a special cross member to get the driveline angles properly dialed in . . . I just don't know. Probably need to adjust the length of your drive shaft and the yoke will need to change - also get it re-balanced.

It fits my 70 El Camino without cutting but I will need the Lokar column shift linkage rod to get my shifter to function. I'm also using the Holley front bias engine mounts to give me more room at the back. I also had to remove the gigantic radiator fan at the front of my Silverado LM7 truck engine and go to electric fans.

Lots for you to consider and somebody will be along here soon with more experience than me.

Rick
Old 12-30-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

The picture shows a a '98 or later LT-style 298mm (input shaft) 4L60E.
While mechanically the correct trans, unfortunately it will not work with a '95 PCM because the solenoids and valve body need a '96 or later PCM. '95 is an odd-ball year and only a '95 trans will work.

Quick Reply: What variation of the 4L60E will fit my car?