Jakes Performance 4L80E Recalibration Kit - QUESTION - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Automatic Transmission 4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jakes Performance 4L80E Recalibration Kit - QUESTION

Old 01-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
TECH Resident

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Default Jakes Performance 4L80E Recalibration Kit - QUESTION

I just ordered this up today for the planned trans upgrade for our nitrous LS1 wagon (60E to 80E). Based upon my research this recal kit addresses many of the issues highlighted by many top builders.

Per the instructions (http://www.jakesperformance.com/wp-c...s-12222016.pdf) there is only one consideration that concerns me:

Quote:
We do not recommend using this kit for off road use where frequent downshifting of the unit for engine braking is necessary.
I had hoped to use the car in a few autocross events this year. Now, I am certain that the fact the car has 28" tall tires and 3.73s it is unlikely the car will need to get out of 1st gear, or will stay in 2nd (we do have high speed straights up here).

If I were to program the ECM to hold gears longer (more like a manual valve body) would this be enough to mitigate the risk of "frequent downshifting"?

I used to race my Turbo Buick with a built TH400 (w/a RMVB & transbrake) and would just launch the car, slam it into 2nd, and trail brake it to avoid jerking the sprag (at least that was the theory - http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=593406).

I am assuming the same strategy could be applied to the 4L80E.

Last edited by mrvedit; 01-13-2018 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Add "Question" to title
mOtOrHeAd MiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
TECH Resident

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

Damn right it is a question!

Doing research as time allows:

5 years have passed since this was last updated
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...nual-low-4L80e
Old 01-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Launching!

For autocross I've always just left my 80E in 2nd, never had a problem yet. I'm guessing Jake is just worried about customers snatched the shifter down into low 1st gear at speed.
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe View Post
Damn right it is a question!

Doing research as time allows:

5 years have passed since this was last updated
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...nual-low-4L80e
Click on the D1 Urban tab, Max out 1-2 shift speeds under 50% throttle, This will prevent 1-2 upshifts with the shifter in D1.

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
TECH Resident

I didn't design Jake's shift kit so this would be a guess........

When blocking the 1-2 Accumulator oil feed to the 1-2 Accumulator piston......Shifting into D1 at speed will cause the Lo/Reverse Band to apply but without "Line" pressure under the accumulator piston to cushion the apply, The Band Apply will be very rough/harsh.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Click on the D1 Urban tab, Max out 1-2 shift speeds under 50% throttle, This will prevent 1-2 upshifts with the shifter in D1.

Whats the difference between D1 and D1 urban. The auto 1>2 upshift is annoying as F. Mine are all zero'd out and it does it.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
Whats the difference between D1 and D1 urban. The auto 1>2 upshift is annoying as F. Mine are all zero'd out and it does it.
My version (3.6) doesn't have a D1 tab, The D1 Urban table has worked for me. You may want to update your HPT & try maxing the 1-2 upshift speeds??
Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
TECH Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech93 View Post
For autocross I've always just left my 80E in 2nd, never had a problem yet. I'm guessing Jake is just worried about customers snatched the shifter down into low 1st gear at speed.
Wonderful news, thanks! What are your rear gears and tire height (if you don't mind my asking)?
Old 01-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
TECH Resident

Quote:

Thanks, that helps reaffirm my assumptions/research on the matter. I was thinking of adding the "Performance" switch to the ECM to have two shift patterns.

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...-Switch-Option

Similiar concept for the 60E (funny how the go to is a TransGo shift kit with the ability to forever hold the trans in 1st, which I left out of 70E):
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...ifting-a-4L60e

Quote:
I didn't design Jake's shift kit so this would be a guess........

When blocking the 1-2 Accumulator oil feed to the 1-2 Accumulator piston......Shifting into D1 at speed will cause the Lo/Reverse Band to apply but without "Line" pressure under the accumulator piston to cushion the apply, The Band Apply will be very rough/harsh.
In my Buick with the TH400 and 3.08 gears it did just fine running in 2nd, the advantage of torque that Miatas don't have.

As always I greatly appreciate the insight.