Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo HD-2 Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transgo HD-2 Kit

Before I do the HD-2 kit, can you guys help me out with some of the tricks to this kit?

Here's what I've got - 06 GTO, 4L65E, 3200 stall, 82k miles, moderately aggressive driving

I've got the Sonnax 2-3 shift valve.
Torlon checkballs
I'm going to do the T-go 1-2 shift valve since I can already hold in any gear
I'm bringing the 3rd feed to .101
All other feeds will be .093 per T-go
I already have aluminum 1-2 accum piston and forward accum piston

Any holes I should do differently on the plate? Like maybe bring the 2nd feed to .101?
For the 1-2 accum, I shouldn't use any spacers, correct?
Anything else I should do?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 06GR
Before I do the HD-2 kit, can you guys help me out with some of the tricks to this kit?

Here's what I've got - 06 GTO, 4L65E, 3200 stall, 82k miles, moderately aggressive driving

I've got the Sonnax 2-3 shift valve.
Torlon checkballs
I'm going to do the T-go 1-2 shift valve since I can already hold in any gear
I'm bringing the 3rd feed to .101
All other feeds will be .093 per T-go
I already have aluminum 1-2 accum piston and forward accum piston

Any holes I should do differently on the plate? Like maybe bring the 2nd feed to .101?
For the 1-2 accum, I shouldn't use any spacers, correct?
Anything else I should do?

Thanks
Random thoughts from my experiences.
It's very very easy to get the 1-2 shift firm (annoying). Don't go over .093 with the feed and a higher than stock stall speed. Don't go over .082 with a stock converter.

Don't use washers in the 1-2 accumulator. If you want it to shift more firm at 1-2 it's way easier to add a shim to the 1-2 accumulator than it is to remove the valve body and drill the hole.

You can drill 3rd bigger but you have to be aware that the 3rd feed size and band release size can create an overlap or bind up. Depends on the third clutch clearance and band travel also.

4th can be drilled to .125 no problems.

You can also disable the 3-2 shift valve train, drill 3rd to .140, drill the band release to .104 and block a hole or two and get a nice 3rd shift. But we don't need to get into that.

It's ideal to go very moderate with the 1-2 shift because of the steep gear change, then make third more firm, then make fourth even more firm. This way it feels progressive.

I see a lot of people make 1-2 too firm and it makes 2-3 and 3-4 feel too soft.

Tuning can help a lot too. I am running a 4L60E with mods. I know the 2nd feed is too big so I tuned it soft at low load.

And you want to get rid of torque management.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Random thoughts from my experiences.
It's very very easy to get the 1-2 shift firm (annoying). Don't go over .093 with the feed and a higher than stock stall speed. Don't go over .082 with a stock converter.

Don't use washers in the 1-2 accumulator. If you want it to shift more firm at 1-2 it's way easier to add a shim to the 1-2 accumulator than it is to remove the valve body and drill the hole.

You can drill 3rd bigger but you have to be aware that the 3rd feed size and band release size can create an overlap or bind up. Depends on the third clutch clearance and band travel also.

4th can be drilled to .125 no problems.

You can also disable the 3-2 shift valve train, drill 3rd to .140, drill the band release to .104 and block a hole or two and get a nice 3rd shift. But we don't need to get into that.

It's ideal to go very moderate with the 1-2 shift because of the steep gear change, then make third more firm, then make fourth even more firm. This way it feels progressive.

I see a lot of people make 1-2 too firm and it makes 2-3 and 3-4 feel too soft.

Tuning can help a lot too. I am running a 4L60E with mods. I know the 2nd feed is too big so I tuned it soft at low load.

And you want to get rid of torque management.
Thanks man. I'm in agreement with you on that 1-2 shift. I'm now on a dyno tune, but I came from an email tune that made the 1-2 shift really harsh. The tires always broke loose and I would lose momentum. A faster and smoother 1-2 shift that keeps the car stable would be ideal.

I've got torque management set at 50% right now. I'll leave it there for now until I get a feel for the shifts after the HD-2 install