Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Dipstick Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Dipstick Bracket

I recently took down a trailblazer transmission for overhaul. I'm in the final phases of putting the valve body back on the case but I noticed there isn't a dipstick retaining bracket and since I'm meticulously organized I'm pretty certain it wasn't there to begin with. Question where can I source the dipstick retaining bracket... or can I fabricate, use something else, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Theres a bracket. It's spot welded to the dipstick tube so you're not going to find one. You can make one and weld it to the tube, and make it bolt to a bellhousing bolt.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:26 PM
Teching In

I'm used to having one bolted to the valve body where the dipstick tube enters the transmission as well. I just bent a piece of metal that approximated the size I thought it should be and finished up.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rrtravis

I'm used to having one bolted to the valve body where the dipstick tube enters the transmission as well. I just bent a piece of metal that approximated the size I thought it should be and finished up.
Thats not a dipstick bracket.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the newer 4l60e have a ledge in the tranny pan that serves as the dipstick stop bracket....if you dont have that bracket you can use the newer tranny pan....i dont believe that bracket is available from
GM anymore

Last edited by sjsingle1; 08-19-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Is it worth the trouble to get a newer pan or try to find the bracket? I would think it would okay without it.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Banned

it's a dipstick stop. Not a bracket, even the dictionary defines a bracket as a part that holds something.

I just changed my converter last week and installed a deep factory pan. I also changed the dipstick stop. The deep pan uses a black stop, the shallow pan uses a silver stop. Quite a coincidence that the dipstick rests on this part and stops it at the correct place for an accurate reading.

I'm just saying, if you're looking for a dipstick bracket, you're not going to find that part.

Another thing, it's not a retaining bracket. That by definition holds something in place, if you retain the dipstick with a 'bracket' in the pan, how do you get it out to check the fluid level.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

its a stamped metal piece that serves as a dipstick stop
Old 02-14-2020, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Guys,

The 4L60E update book

4L60E Update book
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...E_HANDBOOK.pdf

pages 89 through 92 goes into much detail about the DIPSTICK STOP BRACKET.

Yes, I am missing one, and I don't think it was present on teardown.

keith
Old 02-15-2020, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 309 Likes on 210 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by keith20mm
Guys,

The 4L60E update book

4L60E Update book
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...E_HANDBOOK.pdf

pages 89 through 92 goes into much detail about the DIPSTICK STOP BRACKET.

Yes, I am missing one, and I don't think it was present on teardown.

keith
Old post, but what year is your transmission? 2005 and up have the pan redesigned and the stop is now in the pan. That is why that corner has been cutoff. It is the stop. The manual you are referencing is dated January 2003, before GM changed the pan itself.
The following users liked this post:
NicoleBlackkat (04-20-2022)
Old 02-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Tranzman,

My application is 2006 Suburban 1500 4wd, 4L60E.

I did learn that the pan had actually been changed, watching Hiram's, and others, youtube videos of 4L60E teardowns, and that, in fact, there was no physical part for the stop... This after we had pretty well searched my shop end to end, including dragging a magnet through the ashes of the wood-burner heater, wasting an hour or two, merely because I was not being observant or informed enough, on this aspect of 4L60E, when we removed the pan/valve body during disassembly.

My reason for pointing out the "update" pdf was twofold, one being for posterity to be apprised of differences in this aspect, and secondly, that the manual does call the part a "bracket", although this is not a GM manual.

After I read the prior posts on this, installed the tube, stick, onto the case bottom, I then measured the protrusion of the tip of the stick, and the depth of the pan, in that corner where the dispstick resides. It was totally apparent that the stop part had been dispensed with, for two reasons, one, the rise in the pan precludes the need for any stop, and also, that the tip of the dipstick had the loop welded onto it, to create a tip that couldn't be bent over easily by pushing, somehow, so hard on the dipstick while seating it (I am confident that it is impossible to do so, due to the toggle lock upper end handle on the dipstick, where it enters the widened bell of the tube.

All in all, this is end of my remarks on this disptick/tube/pan, it is all clear now.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Banned

Tranzman,

My application is 2006 Suburban 1500 4wd, 4L60E.

I did learn that the pan had actually been changed, watching Hiram's, and others, youtube videos of 4L60E teardowns, and that, in fact, there was no physical part for the stop... This after we had pretty well searched my shop end to end, including dragging a magnet through the ashes of the wood-burner heater, wasting an hour or two, merely because I was not being observant or informed enough, on this aspect of 4L60E, when we removed the pan/valve body during disassembly.

My reason for pointing out the "update" pdf was twofold, one being for posterity to be apprised of differences in this aspect, and secondly, that the manual does call the part a "bracket", although this is not a GM manual.

After I read the prior posts on this, installed the tube, stick, onto the case bottom, I then measured the protrusion of the tip of the stick, and the depth of the pan, in that corner where the dispstick resides. It was totally apparent that the stop part had been dispensed with, for two reasons, one, the rise in the pan precludes the need for any stop, and also, that the tip of the dipstick had the loop welded onto it, to create a tip that couldn't be bent over easily by pushing, somehow, so hard on the dipstick while seating it (I am confident that it is impossible to do so, due to the toggle lock upper end handle on the dipstick, where it enters the widened bell of the tube.

All in all, this is end of my remarks on this disptick/tube/pan, it is all clear now.
What kind of spaceship is this going into?
The following users liked this post:
NicoleBlackkat (04-20-2022)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
What kind of spaceship is this going into?
As mentioned in post "My application is 2006 Suburban 1500 4wd, 4L60E."
Old 02-17-2020, 06:01 PM
Banned

As mentioned in post "My application is 2006 Suburban 1500 4wd, 4L60E."
Oh, I thought this was a NASA project.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,205 Likes on 844 Posts

Holy ******' Dip-Sticks Batman!

Quick Reply: 4L60E Dipstick Bracket