Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTC th400 converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTC th400 converter

I'm in the market for a Torque Converter for my New LQ4 build. I built this thing to handle a small kit of nitrous, and need a torque converter to handle up to a 250 shot. I'm almost sure I am going to give PTC a call. Wish their web site hadn't changed to where they don't list any prices.
My reason for this post is does ANYONE know if PTC has a budget converter that can handle a 250 shot ? OR do I have to spend $1000+ ? This car doesn't get much street miles on it but I do like to drive it to the RACE spot. ( Street Racing only )Which is about 15 miles from where the car is stored. Its Basically 60% strip- 40% street. And care mostly about performance.
Any and All recommendations are appreciated!!!!!! Tim in New Orleans
Old 12-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

PTC sold me a budget converter specced for an 1100 hp turbo setup. I'm pretty sure a 250 shot of nitrous isn't going to be a deal breaker.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
PTC sold me a budget converter specced for an 1100 hp turbo setup. I'm pretty sure a 250 shot of nitrous isn't going to be a deal breaker.
thanks. And About how much can i expect to spend. Round about 7-800$?
Old 12-26-2018, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Just call them. They are a quality company that makes a quality product. Don't try to shop around in a forum...just call and ask them to spec and quote you a converter. With their reputation, they are going to want to sell you the best product for your setup.
If that means a budget converter...then that's what you will get
if that means you need a $1000 converter so that you don't blow through it on spray, or so that you don't balloon the thing and wipe out the trans pump or engine thrust bearing...then you'll get the high dollar unit.
Don't waste your time wondering what it's going to cost in some forum.;..just call them and dole out any details you have...and they'll get you properly setup.
Because believe me...if you try to skimp by and get a budget converter...and have issues...then end up still having to buy the expensive unit...it is going to cost you not only more money...but it's going to be an assache and a waste of time also.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

When I went Th400, I used PTC and have absolutely no regrets. It was by no means a budget unit, at least by my standards (little over $1,000). But It really pays to go ahead and spend the bread up front, instead of doing it twice. And yes, a cheap converter can make a mess of your motor in no time.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks Guys but its easier "Said than Done" to just buy what ever they suggest. I don't think I need a $1000+ converter. And I hate pulling a transmission in the driveway. So I would like to get this right in the first ( or second ) try. I have used PTC before and was totally happy. Remember I am new to real horsepower and I couldn't believe I could go 10's and have a converter that feels like my daily driver. I also know the value of a quality converter. Which is why I am here asking about PTC and what I can expect to spend
I guess I'll be calling them after the New Year.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I've seen not a bad word mentioned about PTC converters and especially in turbo applications. I wonder how good TSI converters are in comparison, more so their spragless converters
Old 12-26-2018, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

I have a used PTC that came out of a s10 I bought last year with only idle time on it. Was behind a 383/plate kit, with a th350 but converter should fit a th400. part number is PTC 10th SS ET 56576
Old 12-26-2018, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Also OP, I wouldn't go cheap. If you don't spend 1k on a converter, you will just end up doing it twice as other said. A cheap converter built to handle under 800hp, won't have a better sprag in it or a ratchet diode sprag, or be spragless. Those stock type sprags can and will begin to slip and you will lose et.. regardless of if the rest of that budget converter can handle 800hp.. the sprags won't hold. Especially if you street drive it and get wheelspin often and then hook suddenly.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A converter is not the part to be on a budget for performance. It can make or break the combo at the track. A good quality converter will be $800+ minimum. Call around and see what the converter companies recommend. Remember if you are not going to spray a 250 shot all the time you want to tell the converter company what you plan to spray most of the time. A converter setup for a 250 shot will be a dog N/A.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, this is a vid of me goofing around, but for the purposes of this thread it's to give a glimpse of the low speed driveability of a good turbo converter. This is a 9.5 inch PTC that goes 5200 on the tbrake, but doesn't require 3500 rpm to get the car moving, roughly 16-1700 and it's moving at a reasonable pace around town, but under power it still couples up nicely. I understand the money angle, trust me, but after paying $200+ for main bearings and all the work involved....on top of now having to buy the converter that you needed in the first place..... see where this is going? Some people get away with cheap converters in turbo applications, but if you're luck is like mine, you won't. And here's another thing, some th400s have been known to take out brand new bottom ends on their own (too much charge pressure), so why compound the potential problem with a cheap converter that may balloon when behind a turbo mill?
Old 12-27-2018, 12:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by nawlins-tim
thanks. And About how much can i expect to spend. Round about 7-800$?
I paid $550 or so for the budget one. Their budget converters have been 7s.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Teching In

I bought a budget ( non-custom) converter from PTC for my Gen 1 SBC build. But it only makes 500 flywheel hp. Although it does fine in my car now, I don't think it could handle a nitrous hit. And like I said, I hate doing transmission swaps in the driveway. So I want to get this right, or very close, the first time. I could spend 1500$ on a custom converter, but I don't think I really need that for several street passes a year. I Will get PTC a call to see what they come up with. My second pic is Jakes transmissions in TX.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure PTC will give you a recommendation about what converter to go with depending on your power level. I have one of their "budget" $450 converters and and very happy with it. I was asked a ton of questions about the car and plans and it's been a great converter so far behind my new motor.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mjs1012
I'm sure PTC will give you a recommendation about what converter to go with depending on your power level. I have one of their "budget" $450 converters and and very happy with it. I was asked a ton of questions about the car and plans and it's been a great converter so far behind my new motor.
What is your build like? Any power adders?
Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Make the call to Ptc and quit asking ppl that aren’t in the business. Done
Old 12-30-2018, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badass68

Make the call to Ptc and quit asking ppl that aren’t in the business. Done
Now THAT is a F'n Stupid thing to say on a public forum that is designed to share information. What a genius post.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No power adders, just a basic heads/cam lq4
Old 12-31-2018, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Now THAT is a F'n Stupid thing to say on a public forum that is designed to share information. What a genius post.
Really! Your OP said “My reason for this post is does ANYONE know if PTC has a budget converter that can handle a 250 shot ?”
Seems like a stupid thread because the answer is a call away!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badass68

Really! Your OP said “My reason for this post is does ANYONE know if PTC has a budget converter that can handle a 250 shot ?”
Seems like a stupid thread because the answer is a call away!
Great idea ... I would like to hear what others experiences were smart ***.