Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad tune or bad transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad tune or bad transmission?

Stock 4l60e behind a cammed LS2,12 bolt rearend, 3.73 gears with a spool, 3000 stall, so I took the car to get a dyno tune because it was surging and idle and getting some bad torque converter knock, tune basically made everything worse, I told the guy where I wanted it to lock and stuff, didn’t listen. Had to take it back and make him lock it at 50 now it doesn’t knock and locks up good at highway speeds. After the tune my transmission is slipping, the transmission hates WOT and basically refuses to shift between 2-3 and 3-4 when WOT it redlines like it’s in neutral when it goes to shift. Never did this before the the tune. The transmission is stock and has 100k miles. So do I take it back to him again or what do you guys think? He said I need a new tranny but I’m reluctant to listen because he also said I needed a new torque converter before I made him change the lock up. Also the car only made 288 hp which just seems wild
Old 01-03-2019, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 553 Likes on 429 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If the trans was good before the tune, I would say the problem is with the tune. I would try to find another tuner who knows how to tune a transmission before the trans is hurt, if it's not too late already.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
If the trans was good before the tune, I would say the problem is with the tune. I would try to find another tuner who knows how to tune a transmission before the trans is hurt, if it's not too late already.
I paid 400 bucks and he basically made my car worse, should I try and get my money back? Is that even possible with tuners?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

most times not really. I dunno if it's a good idea for you to post the name of the tuner so any one else would steer clear from that business?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fst100
most times not really. I dunno if it's a good idea for you to post the name of the tuner so any one else would steer clear from that business?
that’s the thing, they’re recommended by a lot of people in my state, a few people hate them, I just feel like he kind of half assed my car and I paid the price for it. It was on a speed density tune and needed a MAF installed that’s why it surged, but he waited till after to tell me that and now that I have one in he wants to charge me again to tune it. Which I can understand but dang man, you’ve given so much trouble with this tune you can’t just help me out?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,263 Likes on 809 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

288 horse...from a cammed LS2
he doesn't listen to what you want
he blames other parts immediately
it runs like ****

hmmm should we blame the tuner?? is that a real question? Yes you should blame the tuner. I would recommend getting it re-tuned before you actually cause damage to the trans. Banging the limiter between shifts will cause damage shortly.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
288 horse...from a cammed LS2
he doesn't listen to what you want
he blames other parts immediately
it runs like ****

hmmm should we blame the tuner?? is that a real question? Yes you should blame the tuner. I would recommend getting it re-tuned before you actually cause damage to the trans. Banging the limiter between shifts will cause damage shortly.
yeah I WOT once and it did that and I haven’t touched the car since because of fear of wrecking it more
Old 01-03-2019, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

OMG....288 to the tire?? That alone is enough to switch up on this so called tuner.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,263 Likes on 809 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Game ova
OMG....288 to the tire?? That alone is enough to switch up on this so called tuner.
That's the first thing I mentioned too. If he can't milk more than that out of a cammed LS2...I have 0 faith he can do anything right with the trans.
don't walk...run
Old 01-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Game ova
he said “because it has a 12 bolt and they take 15% of your power, and because the transmission is bad.” Honestly now that I’m typing this out I realize how dumb it is.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
That's the first thing I mentioned too. If he can't milk more than that out of a cammed LS2...I have 0 faith he can do anything right with the trans.
don't walk...run
Exactly, a stock Ls2 makes what 330rwhp? And mine has a MS3 stage 3 cam, 3 inch headers, and a FAST intake.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

if anything it ought to be +100rwhp more at around 380-390 (my brother has a ms4 A4 12 bolt that dyno'd 390 pre-AFR heads).
Old 01-04-2019, 05:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smell your dip stick and if the oil looks clean, not sparkling clean with flakes of metal, take it to a tuner that's not drunk. If the new guy gets it fine go back with friends and demand your money back. Or just detune his ride home.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by handyandy496
Smell your dip stick and if the oil looks clean, not sparkling clean with flakes of metal, take it to a tuner that's not drunk. If the new guy gets it fine go back with friends and demand your money back. Or just detune his ride home.
Engine is good, checked the dipstick, checked and made sure all the cylinders are firing, checked a couple plugs and they look fine, no vacuum leaks. The motor has about 10k miles on it. Lifters are a little noisey but I heard that’s normal for cammed LS engines. It’s my daily (yeah I know, very practical) but honestly I didn’t have 400 bucks to just blow on messing up my car.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fst100
if anything it ought to be +100rwhp more at around 380-390 (my brother has a ms4 A4 12 bolt that dyno'd 390 pre-AFR heads).
yeah the car should definitely be around there. Something isn’t adding up here.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 553 Likes on 429 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by handyandy496
I believe he was talking about your transmission dipstick.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be that guy... But it says in the original post that the trans is slipping..

If the trans is slipping it's not going to post good dyno numbers. The tuner may have done his job, done it correctly and it was just too much for your trans.

Everyone is quick to blame the tuner, but no one is quick to learn to tune.. the tuner can only do so much with the hardware you present to him (your vehicle)
Old 01-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR
I hate to be that guy... But it says in the original post that the trans is slipping..

If the trans is slipping it's not going to post good dyno numbers. The tuner may have done his job, done it correctly and it was just too much for your trans.

Everyone is quick to blame the tuner, but no one is quick to learn to tune.. the tuner can only do so much with the hardware you present to him (your vehicle)
if you’re referring to my old post about the weird noise, that ended up being the torque converter not locking at the right time. The transmission did not slip before the tune. You are correct though, the tuner isn’t a magician that can fix existing problems. That’s why it bothers me because this wasn’t an issue before.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SlasherVRGR

You could be right maybe the motor is making more power that’s why the trans decided now to start slipping. Thanks for the input
Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Tuning may be an issue however even with stock HP at 100k miles if the cars been beat on much at all I would be suspect the trans is just tired , A stock 60e is only just able to deal withstock power levels

Call 888-744-6542