Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsandlteditor
it is my choice to fix it, only reason I'm on here trying to get help is because I felt I was annoying them when I called and asked for options because I kept dealing with clearance issues. I was pissed off that they kept telling me its my setup, that I should look into buying an expensive tci flexplate. I'm like what the hell bro? They kept telling me nobody ever had issues with too little clearance , yet someone 2 days prior to me posted on the forums about his clearance issues and he also had 5/64 clearance meaning to little.
I guess you edited this, but question. Is this motor boosted?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Game ova
I guess you edited this, but question. Is this motor boosted?
no it is not, it's an NA build
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Somebody help me understand what Chris was saying here.
if im interpreting this the correct way then I can see why I'm having issues.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

@Circle-D I think should get a fair shake in this thread.
I think this is just a small issue that seems like a bigger one through the course of this thread. It might look like bad customer service from Circle D but I'm doubting that.

Thanks to OP for clarifying that it was indeed just your decision to take it to a machine shop.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
@Circle-D I think should get a fair shake in this thread.
I think this is just a small issue that seems like a bigger one through the course of this thread. It might look like bad customer service from Circle D but I'm doubting that.

Thanks to OP for clarifying that it was indeed just your decision to take it to a machine shop.
Its a HUGE issue imo, and probably ops as well. There's no reason to be this far out of spec, and like he said, he needs his vehicle up and running. This is a very basic and rudimentary issue that is holding op up.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you for the tag. We have been working with the customers trying to come up with a solution. The OP was sent a new converter, no charge, in hopes that we made a mistake with the build height. This did not solve the problem as the second converter that they received has the same clearance as the first. This is odd to us as we take an, after weld, overall height measurement and record it in our system. All of the converters were measured within spec but mistakes can be made, of course. We are not quite sure why the lack of clearance is happening at this point, as we have not received back any of the original converters that these threads were started about. When we get those converters back, we hope to know more.

Whoever mentioned the backwards pump gear, that is a great thought.

We shoot for at least 1/8" and not more than 3/16" clearance. The 6L80 can run a little bit tighter. Somewhere around .100" and everything should be alright.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Circle-D
This made sense, till op said his factory converter fits just fine.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

This made sense, till op said his factory converter fits just fine.

60k mile 6l80e owned since day one never rebuilt
Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Circle-D, send the man an RMA and get him together....asap.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Circle-D, send the man an RMA and get him together....asap.

I'm good. Thanks though but I'm good. Trying to work this out
Old 01-16-2019, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Thank you for the tag. We have been working with the customers trying to come up with a solution. The OP was sent a new converter, no charge, in hopes that we made a mistake with the build height. This did not solve the problem as the second converter that they received has the same clearance as the first. This is odd to us as we take an, after weld, overall height measurement and record it in our system. All of the converters were measured within spec but mistakes can be made, of course. We are not quite sure why the lack of clearance is happening at this point, as we have not received back any of the original converters that these threads were started about. When we get those converters back, we hope to know more.

We shoot for at least 1/8" and not more than 3/16" clearance. The 6L80 can run a little bit tighter. Somewhere around .100" and everything should be alright.

the first converter is coming back due to a vibration, and rattle. Been dealing with a thunderstorm in LA and I didnt receive my second converter till Monday even though I paid for Saturday delivery.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Default Just to clarify

Spoke to Chris at Circle D, figuring out a way to make it right. So far, with the machining, I'm at .109 clearance which is more than .100, which Chris said hes happy with, and so am I. So I'm gonna give it a shot on Friday and God willing all will work out and I can be chopping, thumping, and making old women angry REAL SOON!