Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E New Reverse Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E New Reverse Problem

So I’m going to start out by saying that BEFORE I did any work to the trans, EVERYTHING was working perfectly and the trans was super strong.

Freshly Built 4L60e

So yesterday I pulled off the stock pan and VB to install a rossler trans brake and a deep pan. I swapped over all of the necessary parts to the new VB and did my best to ensure everything was placed correctly.

Since then, the car is slow to get into reverse. I can put it in reverse and it’ll take 5-10 seconds to respond if it even does. If I rev the engine just slightly, it’ll slam into reverse with the very positive engagement I’m used to feeling (car really jumps when going into R). On top of that, I feel like the trans *might* be slipping a little bit. That could just be my mind messing with me, but it’s possible. The 2-3 shift just doesn’t feel quite as positive as I remember.

To me it it sounds like a line pressure issue. I do not have a gauge, nor do I have a scanner to look at it. I called AAMCO (my friends works there) and asked if I could briefly borrow a line pressure gauge. They said “Why would we have a gauge for that?? Line pressure is line pressure!” So I guess I know why I’ll never take my trans to them, lol.

Anyway, does anyone have some thoughts on this? I’m confident the trans is fine and something about my install is amiss. On top of all of this, the trans brake is not responding at all. I’m going to pull the pan today to ensure it’s even responding, and if the solenoids work I’ll know it’s something else to do with this reverse issue.

Thoughts? And any ideas where I could find a scanner that will show me line pressure and allow me to command full pressure?

Last edited by 02F-Body; 01-18-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Teching In

The other thought I’m having is that it’s something to do with the pressure manifold switch. The trans brake sits between the VB and the PMS so I feel like that could directly affect it and create pressure issues for me.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it one of those brakes that require transbrake engagement for reverse? If it is, and you are not engaging the solenoid, it will be slow to engage reverse, and it's killing your clutches at the same time.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Game ova
Is it one of those brakes that require transbrake engagement for reverse? If it is, and you are not engaging the solenoid, it will be slow to engage reverse, and it's killing your clutches at the same time.
That’s the second time I’ve heard this. I do not know. Rossler’s website is awful and gives very little info. I called him today and left a message, so we’ll see. I’ve read nothing to the effect this brake needs that.

Regardless the brake rake is not engaging anyway.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 02F-Body

That’s the second time I’ve heard this. I do not know. Rossler’s website is awful and gives very little info. I called him today and left a message, so we’ll see. I’ve read nothing to the effect this brake needs that.

Regardless the brake rake is not engaging anyway.
With the car off, hit the tbrake button and see if you can hear the the solenoid engage. If it is, then you have other issues.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Game ova
With the car off, hit the tbrake button and see if you can hear the the solenoid engage. If it is, then you have other issues.
I have the pan off. I’m putting 12v to the brake and nothing is happening. Not doing anything else until Rossler calls me back.

Fortunately the fluid looks good, so I don’t think I did any damage to the clutches.