Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building AN trans. cooler lines- help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building AN trans. cooler lines- help!!!

Hey, I'm trying to build some trans cooler lines for my truck out of stainless braided line and I can't get the nut portion of the hose end over the braids, because the stainless flares out when I try to put it over. I'm cutting the line with a sharp hacksaw blade and putting masking tape where I'm cutting. I've tried with multiple hose ends (one summit brand and one from performance world). The hose is the summit brand. is the hose crap or am I doing something wrong? Sorry for the idiot question I'm just really frustrated with this at this point haha, thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Wrap the braided cut end with electrical tape really tight. Leave it on, add little grease. It's fine to leave the tape on

Last edited by 98CayenneT/A; 05-10-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Wrap the braided cut end with electrical tape result tight. Leave it on, add little grease. It's fine to leave the tape on
Just tried that and had no luck, it still flared open.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had good luck with a grinder and cut off disc and as mentioned above putting electrical tape around it. Make sure to rinse out the lines properly after doing this.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi
I have had good luck with a grinder and cut off disc and as mentioned above putting electrical tape around it. Make sure to rinse out the lines properly after doing this.
Yeah I think I'm going to try that tomorrow when I can make some more noise.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Hose cutting shears have always worked the best for myself.

Stainless Steel is not a friendly material to cut.

Keep the cutting edges sharpened and the fastener holding the blades together tight.

These are available at the two largest speed parts businesses we have as well as many other places.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Ran to my speed shop trying to find a pair of shears, they didn't carry any, ended up getting a thin kerf cut off blade and used that and it worked great, thanks guys.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Between fighting with the stainless and getting cut up with it. I have changed to the black stuff. It still has a stainless core for strength but it's much easier to work with, and I like the black.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Between fighting with the stainless and getting cut up with it. I have changed to the black stuff. It still has a stainless core for strength but it's much easier to work with, and I like the black.
Yeah I built my fuel lines with that but the stainless was on sale so I went with it for this. I agree it was a lot easier
Old 05-11-2019, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
This, nylon braided is the way to go, I wont mess with stainless crap anymore. Too many bloody fingertips.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi
This method is definitely the easiest for keeping the braids from fraying.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I use a plastic wire tie to wrap the stainless covering. The wire tie keeps the hose and stainless wrap perfectly round and the strands from shearing or coming undone at the cut. Use the dremel to cut all the way around the stainless wrap instead of making the one cut from side to side. The strands won't fray as much while making the cut.

The dremel will throw tiny pieces straight to your face if you are not careful to note rotation of the disc when making the cut- wear a full face shield. You do not want this stuff getting into and eye or two.

At stated earlier, fiberglass covering is easier to work with and also much more flexible and lighter compared to stainless wrap.