Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L65E rebuild problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4L65E rebuild problems

Just finished up on a 4L65E rebuild and got it installed in the Vehicle. the rebuild thread can be found here https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...rebuild-s.html

After installed in vehicle filled the transmission with 10 quarts of fluid already had one in the converter Jacked the vehicle up and Started the vehicle run for about five or 10 minutes. Then check the fluid the fluid was high on the stick so dropped it in gear and nothing no gears at all forward or reverse so let the vehicle run for a little longer tried again same thing So gave the vehicle little bit of peddle In the wheel started to turn so let it sit there and run with the wheels turning then it started to shift OK great all is well put it in neutral and checked the fluid again. It read a quart low so I added a quart been running 45 minutes now so time for test drive Going to test drive the vehicle stalled when you come in to the first stop sign put it in neutral start it back up and continue to drive and the shifts felt like what I called bouncy But others would probably call shutter on the torque converter and it also through the codeTCC circuit stock on So pulled the pan off And replaced the TCC solenoid To take care of the code and found the forward pin-less Accumulator Seemed stuck so Through a new valve body on there and swapped the 1-2 pin-less accumulator and housing back to stock Put it all back together started it up and same thing no Forward or Reverse gears but this time I had access to a snap on scanner so I command it TCC on and immediately it drops into drive no problem so take it for test drive and same thing bouncy Shift and TCC circuit stuck on code so next are use the snap on scanner and command TCC off The Shift’s moved out perfect no bounce and the shifts felt great no flare and no slipping just great So I figured I would post this here to put some heads together and see what my next course of action should be. I have been on the phone with Frank from Performabuilt several times and he has been very helpful and involved on this rebuild but I feel like it was time for me to stop bugging him and put this on the forum to see if this is a problem that Others may have had or maybe will have in the future

Thanks Mark
Old 06-23-2019, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by markhodges78
Just finished up on a 4L65E rebuild and got it installed in the Vehicle. the rebuild thread can be found here https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...rebuild-s.html

After installed in vehicle filled the transmission with 10 quarts of fluid already had one in the converter Jacked the vehicle up and Started the vehicle run for about five or 10 minutes. Then check the fluid the fluid was high on the stick so dropped it in gear and nothing no gears at all forward or reverse so let the vehicle run for a little longer tried again same thing So gave the vehicle little bit of peddle In the wheel started to turn so let it sit there and run with the wheels turning then it started to shift OK great all is well put it in neutral and checked the fluid again. It read a quart low so I added a quart been running 45 minutes now so time for test drive Going to test drive the vehicle stalled when you come in to the first stop sign put it in neutral start it back up and continue to drive and the shifts felt like what I called bouncy But others would probably call shutter on the torque converter and it also through the codeTCC circuit stock on So pulled the pan off And replaced the TCC solenoid To take care of the code and found the forward pin-less Accumulator Seemed stuck so Through a new valve body on there and swapped the 1-2 pin-less accumulator and housing back to stock Put it all back together started it up and same thing no Forward or Reverse gears but this time I had access to a snap on scanner so I command it TCC on and immediately it drops into drive no problem so take it for test drive and same thing bouncy Shift and TCC circuit stuck on code so next are use the snap on scanner and command TCC off The Shift’s moved out perfect no bounce and the shifts felt great no flare and no slipping just great So I figured I would post this here to put some heads together and see what my next course of action should be. I have been on the phone with Frank from Performabuilt several times and he has been very helpful and involved on this rebuild but I feel like it was time for me to stop bugging him and put this on the forum to see if this is a problem that Others may have had or maybe will have in the future

Thanks Mark
What kind of rebuild was this and who rebuilt it?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bortous
What kind of rebuild was this and who rebuilt it?

It was rebuilt by me and the rebuild thread link is in the post
Old 06-23-2019, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

It was rebuilt by me and the rebuild thread link is in the post
Ok that explains it.
My advice?
Get Performabuilt to check it out for you.
These guys are professionals and will tell you the issue.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Ok that explains it.
My advice?
Get Performabuilt to check it out for you.
These guys are professionals and will tell you the issue.
Dude not cool that was very insulting if you did not have knowledgeable input on this it would be best to not comment on this thread.

Thank you
Old 06-23-2019, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Dude not cool that was very insulting if you did not have knowledgeable input on this it would be best to not comment on this thread.

Thank you
I didn't mean to offend you sir.

Maybe I should have worded it in a different way.

Do you have much experience in building these transmissions?

I only suggested to contact performabuilt because they have a lot of experience and they will be able to pick up anything you may have done wrong once they inspect it.

The issue you are having seems hardware related to me.

Messing with it while being unsure can have serious consequences.

I know it's a learning curve but Performabuilt will be able to advise you better than anyone from these forums.
Hopefully you are not insulted by this response.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I didn't mean to offend you sir.

Maybe I should have worded it in a different way.

Do you have much experience in building these transmissions?

I only suggested to contact performabuilt because they have a lot of experience and they will be able to pick up anything you may have done wrong once they inspect it.

The issue you are having seems hardware related to me.

Messing with it while being unsure can have serious consequences.

I know it's a learning curve but Performabuilt will be able to advise you better than anyone from these forums.
Hopefully you are not insulted by this response.

I have ave done a handful of the 4l60e transmission’s which are the same as the 4l65e except for a few difference’s in the Servos and planetary gears. and I’ve done probably 50 are more of the 700 / 4l60’s but due to a divorce it has been over 10 years since I’ve had the means to get back in to it. this problem is a first for me so I thought I would post here because as I’ve said I have spoken to Performabuilt several times and there are several knowledgeable professionals on this site.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

I have ave done a handful of the 4l60e transmission’s which are the same as the 4l65e except for a few difference’s in the Servos and planetary gears. and I’ve done probably 50 are more of the 700 / 4l60’s but due to a divorce it has been over 10 years since I’ve had the means to get back in to it. this problem is a first for me so I thought I would post here because as I’ve said I have spoken to Performabuilt several times and there are several knowledgeable professionals on this site.
These divorces can drain the life out of you.

I don't have any experience with the issue you are having.
Performabuilt occasionally respond to posts I have noticed.
Let us know how you go and hopefully someone helps you fix it.
I'm curious to know what it is.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:00 PM
Teching In

These divorces can drain the life out of you.

I don't have any experience with the issue you are having.
Performabuilt occasionally respond to posts I have noticed.
Let us know how you go and hopefully someone helps you fix it.
I'm curious to know what it is.

Yeah They are and will do
Old 06-23-2019, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

First post was hard to follow but it sounds like the converter is always locked ?
Old 06-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
First post was hard to follow but it sounds like the converter is always locked ?

When I first start the vehicle after setting for few hours it will not move at all unless I command lock up with the scanner then if i let the truck take over the truck through a code TCC stuck on and I get a bouncy shift but then if I command tcc off the shift is great with no problems
Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 552 Likes on 428 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Op did you reuse all of the original hard parts or did you have to replace anything like the stator support, valve body, or pump? I have never heard of a problem like this.

Last edited by bbond105; 06-23-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Im gonna go out on a limb here, Maybe the lockup valve is installed backwards? Not allowing the converter to fill properly and causing partial lockup.
Its just a guess I have never really seen this issue but it seems whatever it is would have to be in the pump.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
Op did you reuse all of the original hard parts or did you have to replace anything like the stator support, valve body, or pump? I have never heard of a problem like this.

The only thing in the pump that was replaced was the boost valve I did how ever take it all apart and clean I also replaced the valve body after this problem just to rule out valve body problem
Old 06-23-2019, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Im gonna go out on a limb here, Maybe the lockup valve is installed backwards? Not allowing the converter to fill properly and causing partial lockup.
Its just a guess I have never really seen this issue but it seems whatever it is would have to be in the pump.

I do agree there’s a problem with the torque converter filling as the fluid goes down after I command lock up but If this was the case would I be able to command tcc lock up on and off ?

Thanks Frank for all your help this far.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I do agree there’s a problem with the torque converter filling as the fluid goes down after I command lock up but If this was the case would I be able to command tcc lock up on and off ?

Thanks Frank for all your help this far.

I would check the TCC valve its all I can think of ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would check the TCC valve its all I can think of ,

The tcc valve is in the valve body correct? I did a complete swap with an Untouched valve body and solenoids after this problem came up to eliminate anything to do with the valve body
Old 06-24-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 552 Likes on 428 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The tcc valve is in the valve body correct? I did a complete swap with an Untouched valve body and solenoids after this problem came up to eliminate anything to do with the valve body
I think that Frank is referring to the TCC valve that is in the pump.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
I think that Frank is referring to the TCC valve that is in the pump.

Ok its very possible that I goofed and put the valve in the pump up side down or put the spring in the wrong place I will check that and let you guys know.

Thanks Guys
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM
Teching In

OK so the problem was indeed with the TCC valve I made a goof and put the valve in the pump first and then put the two springs on top of the valve holding it deep in the bore the transmission is shifting great now just want to say thanks to everyone that shared input

Thanks Mark