Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freshly built 4l65e 2-3 flare

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023 | 08:08 PM
Teching In

Default Freshly built 4l65e 2-3 flare

I bought a built 4l65e from a well known transmission company (not going to say a name) and the 2-3 shift slips. It’s a 01 Silverado with a boosted 5.3. The old trans lost 3/4 so I decided to buy this transmission. I installed it with an aftermarket cooler and a new 9.5” 3,000 stall billet converter. I took it easy on the trans for a little while after installing, it drove perfect. I wanted to test it out and go a little faster and it slipped on the 2-3 shift. It almost seems like it is just late shifting and not even a slip. It will jump 4to500 rpm and then shift. In tow/haul mode it pegs the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift until I let off then it drives normal. The truck has been sitting for over a month and have not heard anything from the transmission company. Not sure how the whole warranty thing works but I only have a month and half left and I am trying to get a general idea of what is going on with it. Thanks
Old 08-04-2023 | 08:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slowsilv
I bought a built 4l65e from a well known transmission company (not going to say a name) and the 2-3 shift slips. It’s a 01 Silverado with a boosted 5.3. The old trans lost 3/4 so I decided to buy this transmission. I installed it with an aftermarket cooler and a new 9.5” 3,000 stall billet converter. I took it easy on the trans for a little while after installing, it drove perfect. I wanted to test it out and go a little faster and it slipped on the 2-3 shift. It almost seems like it is just late shifting and not even a slip. It will jump 4to500 rpm and then shift. In tow/haul mode it pegs the rev limiter on the 2-3 shift until I let off then it drives normal. The truck has been sitting for over a month and have not heard anything from the transmission company. Not sure how the whole warranty thing works but I only have a month and half left and I am trying to get a general idea of what is going on with it. Thanks
they should have some sort of warranty. 90 days at the very least. I would go there in person and talk to the manager.
Old 08-04-2023 | 08:34 PM
Teching In

I hope it doesn’t come to that they are a 16hr drive away
Old 08-04-2023 | 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slowsilv
I hope it doesn’t come to that they are a 16hr drive away
just mention small claims court. That will get their attention.

it's bullshit you are having issues with it. They should fix it for free or give a full refund.
The following users liked this post:
grinder11 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-05-2023 | 03:50 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Have you tried a deep trans pan? I had a 2/3 shift flare with a built trans and went to a B&M deep trans pan. No more 2/3 flare.
Old 08-05-2023 | 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

2-3 flare can happen for a number of reasons, 1 as mention with the stock pan depth shallow it is very common to evacuate pan on the 2-3 at WOT or could be a timing issue band release to 3-4 apply., Check valve ball in capsule could be leaking, but also an electronic issue can cause it - https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...a-bad-computer.
Taking the PCM off the table is pretty easy, Unplug the harness and do the 2-3 shift manually, If the flare is gone then its PCM related if not then it is likely one of the issues I mentioned.
In any case the company should do whatever they can to help you determine and solve it. So many companies, however, no longer provide real full time tech support.

bbond105 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023 | 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slothman
just mention small claims court. That will get their attention.

it's bullshit you are having issues with it. They should fix it for free or give a full refund.
I agree. I understand stuff happens and they are busy, but they have pretty much blown me off and I paid a lot for this transmission.
Old 08-05-2023 | 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
Have you tried a deep trans pan? I had a 2/3 shift flare with a built trans and went to a B&M deep trans pan. No more 2/3 flare.
It currently has a deep pan
Old 08-05-2023 | 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
2-3 flare can happen for a number of reasons, 1 as mention with the stock pan depth shallow it is very common to evacuate pan on the 2-3 at WOT or could be a timing issue band release to 3-4 apply., Check valve ball in capsule could be leaking, but also an electronic issue can cause it - https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resource...a-bad-computer.
Taking the PCM off the table is pretty easy, Unplug the harness and do the 2-3 shift manually, If the flare is gone then its PCM related if not then it is likely one of the issues I mentioned.
In any case the company should do whatever they can to help you determine and solve it. So many companies, however, no longer provide real full time tech support.
Thank you for that link. I made a data log everything looked good on the solenoids while shifting but I need to test them like they did with a graph. I have a spare pcm I could flash the same tune and try it out. I hope it’s something on my end I really don’t want to ship the transmission back and wait 2 more months.
Old 08-05-2023 | 09:46 PM
Teching In

https://youtube.com/shorts/pruwhEhuR0w?feature=shared
Old 08-06-2023 | 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Are you allowing lockup in 2nd, I ask cause I do and mine does similar because the converter is set to unlock .5 seconds during a shift which with a 2800 stall makes for a feeling of a rev flare during the 2-3 shift cruising around , It hard to tell by video

Old 08-06-2023 | 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
Are you allowing lockup in 2nd, I ask cause I do and mine does similar because the converter is set to unlock .5 seconds during a shift which with a 2800 stall makes for a feeling of a rev flare during the 2-3 shift cruising around , It hard to tell by video
In the tune lockup is only allowed in 3rd and 4th
Old 08-06-2023 | 03:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok just wondered on vid it looks alot like my car does on the 2-3 and 3-4 when converter unlocks momentarily for the shift.

Old 08-08-2023 | 09:56 AM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

I agree with post about this being bullshit. I'm sure you spent several thousand dollars on this. Your a bigger person than I for not naming who it is. Even though it shouldnt happen at all, it's one thing to be slow responding to customer complaints, but another, unacceptable thing entirely to turn your back and ghost a customer. Shame on them. They're damn lucky it wasn't me, or their name would be slowing the internet with the amount of bitching I'd be doing online. What could they do? They only have one back to turn on you, and they've played their trump card, so they can't turn it again. My .02, and I'd sure as Hell LOVE to know what company this is......
Old 08-08-2023 | 10:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grinder11
I agree with post about this being bullshit. I'm sure you spent several thousand dollars on this. Your a bigger person than I for not naming who it is. Even though it shouldnt happen at all, it's one thing to be slow responding to customer complaints, but another, unacceptable thing entirely to turn your back and ghost a customer. Shame on them. They're damn lucky it wasn't me, or their name would be slowing the internet with the amount of bitching I'd be doing online. What could they do? They only have one back to turn on you, and they've played their trump card, so they can't turn it again. My .02, and I'd sure as Hell LOVE to know what company this is......
The transmission was just over $4000. I did a lot of research before I bought it and they have very good reviews. Everybody says they are the best of the best at 4l60e’s and they are all dyno tested. So I picked them. I don’t want to blast them out of respect. But I hope they understand my frustration paying that much, waiting two months for it to be built, it doesn’t work right and then I get no support. They were helpful and quick to respond up until I sent the data log and tune. After that it has been nothing. I called 3 weeks ago they said they would email back with info. Nothing. I Guess that’s the problem with ordering a trans from somebody in a different state. If it doesn’t work that’s a lot of extra $ in shipping. Depending on how it goes I will consider naming them.
Old 08-09-2023 | 03:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

One of the big issues with a number of shops is they simply dont have anyone who can look at the tune and understand what they are looking at. I would however try going into the tune of you have the capability and setting the shift time to 0,00 and see what happens. I use Tuner cat so may be different from what many have but in mine its under shift time vs tps and under line presure offset vs gear make sure no negative numbers there. Many times on the 2-3 the pcm is set to pull back presure to avoid a clunky feel ,
And a DYNO unless pretty high end is not the end all be all to making sure something works , A typical dyno can load to an extent, prove shifts and lockup andline presure and even then the person running it needs to know what they are looking at, In you case for instance assuming not a tuning issues which is could very well be. But if not this flare might only show as a Momentary slight unusual larger drop in line during the 2-3 shift but otherwise all work normally. You would have to know what you were looking for. Did you try the unplugging harness and doing the 2-3 shift manually ss I think I suggested earlier as that would tell us if it was indeeed a trans hydrulic issue if it still does it under those circumstances .

Last edited by FranksCustomTrans; 08-09-2023 at 03:50 PM.
bbond105 (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023 | 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

It's more than likely in the tune. whenever you install a stall convertor, it needs to be retuned for that. Every trans i build with a stall convertor requires a custom tune. Surprised your CEL hasnt came on yet. Are you capable of tuning? If so, I can give you a list of things that need to be changed and what they need changing to. Or I can email you a tune file to compare.
FranksCustomTrans (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023 | 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
It's more than likely in the tune. whenever you install a stall convertor, it needs to be retuned for that. Every trans i build with a stall convertor requires a custom tune. Surprised your CEL hasnt came on yet. Are you capable of tuning? If so, I can give you a list of things that need to be changed and what they need changing to. Or I can email you a tune file to compare.
BlueCat transtool generator works very well, if you haven't seen it.
Old 08-09-2023 | 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tranzman
BlueCat transtool generator works very well, if you haven't seen it.
I have it. But that’s not the settings I’m referring to.
Old 08-09-2023 | 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I have it. But that’s not the settings I’m referring to.
Enlighten me please. I'm tuning my LS10 with a 5.3L LM4 with an Elgin E1839P cam & a mild 2500 stall. Plus I'm trying to learn how a tuner can screw up a transmission any way...

Quick Reply: Freshly built 4l65e 2-3 flare