Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Band lining separation

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023 | 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Band lining separation

Anyone else had this issue, I have gotten 2 alto redlined bands which when I removed from box the lining was separating from the band argh .
Bear in mind i did get them on amazon and in fact rarely use the redline but the wide black was not available from my local supplier or Amazon and the red either from local
Just curious if anyone else has seen this or just my bad luck?
No sign they been wet or anything just clean separation

Old 10-29-2023 | 11:45 AM

There have been recent reports of counterfeit auto parts on Amazon, sensors, fuel pumps and such. So why not trans parts. I suggest checking the seller on Amazon. If Amazon itself, it's probably OK. But other sellers give me pause.
I suspected a bad coil on my LS3 engine last week and decided to buy a new set. I did not trust even the "Authentic ACDelco" coils on Amazon and therefore bought from Summit Racing.
(In case anyone wonders, my coils originated from a 2006 LS23 engine and were therefore 17 years old; and then I decided to upgrade to MSD Coils.)
The following users liked this post:
FranksCustomTrans (10-29-2023)
Old 10-29-2023 | 12:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrvedit
There have been recent reports of counterfeit auto parts on Amazon, sensors, fuel pumps and such. So why not trans parts. I suggest checking the seller on Amazon. If Amazon itself, it's probably OK. But other sellers give me pause.
I suspected a bad coil on my LS3 engine last week and decided to buy a new set. I did not trust even the "Authentic ACDelco" coils on Amazon and therefore bought from Summit Racing.
(In case anyone wonders, my coils originated from a 2006 LS23 engine and were therefore 17 years old; and then I decided to upgrade to MSD Coils.)
Yes I check everything very carefully no matter where it comes from, You can never tell now days. And a few year back they removed the requirements for country of origin from stuff so ya never know on anything really. ujust have to carefully examine all. And Amazon along with others does not police things well now days either..

Old 10-29-2023 | 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

I have pretty much only used the Alto Wide Carbonite Band or the OEM Borg-Warner High Energy Band.

I noticed that your Build-Sheets list the Kevlar-Mix Raybestos Band...
I have never tried one, as I tried Kevlar Bands 20 Years ago and hated the Shift Feel.

Maroon Monster has said several times that he gets Wide High Energy Bands.
I have no idea where though...
Maybe from Bama Bands???
The Vendors keeps pushing them on everyone.

Old 10-29-2023 | 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

I have been hearing for years that the Alto bands are hot dogshit.
I'm not a pro like you guys, but I've only ever used Borg Warner and never had a problem.

I've actually got a 4L60 on the stand right now, and I'm going to reuse the old band because 1) it's still in really good condition, 2) I'm going to reuse the reverse drum, and I want the band to match the surface. It will also make it easier for me to dial in the band clearance.
Old 10-29-2023 | 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by dixiebandit69
I have been hearing for years that the Alto bands are hot dogshit.
I'm not a pro like you guys, but I've only ever used Borg Warner and never had a problem.

I've actually got a 4L60 on the stand right now, and I'm going to reuse the old band because 1) it's still in really good condition, 2) I'm going to reuse the reverse drum, and I want the band to match the surface. It will also make it easier for me to dial in the band clearance.
As a general rule I use the Raybestos pro series wide myself and of course either machine or replace all my drums . Just got a couple these because those were not available in the moment and wanted to finish unit but alas thats not going to happen just have to wait,

Old 10-29-2023 | 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
I have pretty much only used the Alto Wide Carbonite Band or the OEM Borg-Warner High Energy Band.

I have never tried one, as I tried Kevlar Bands 20 Years ago and hated the Shift Feel.

Maybe from Bama Bands???
Yes I like the Raybestos pro series wide, this unit im building is to be sold on ebay and of course will list what it is in description though it appears it will ultimately end up being pro series wide just having to wait . Been having great service with the pro series for literally decades narrow or wide, And note on the red band IMO its possible the packager damaged them as they were rolled rather small and tight but still would not think would delaminate
Facebook Post

Old 10-29-2023 | 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by vorteciroc

Maybe from Bama Bands???

Also I add a small orifice in case that sprays oil into the band space between lugs to help keep the drum and band cool. The orifice is borrowed from old bad pump where it is used for same purpose but sprays from top, The issue is the minute the band begins to apply that avenue is cut off but using the gap it continues before during and after band apply to help keep band and drum cool. Every little bit helps when you consider how many more times the band slide on that drum at 6000 rpm before it actually stops .

Old 10-30-2023 | 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

YES! spray the drum to keep the band and drum cool.
I have a drill jig made but you can eyeball it too for DIY guys

Can do the same to add rear lube to the low/rev frictions which also lets some make its way through to the rear planet.

As for bands. Yes i've had alto delaminate. Have mentioned it on here before. I won't use them. Period.
Borg or Ray are the go-to
FranksCustomTrans (10-30-2023)
Old 10-31-2023 | 07:37 AM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
Also I add a small orifice in case that sprays oil into the band space between lugs to help keep the drum and band cool. The orifice is borrowed from old bad pump where it is used for same purpose but sprays from top, The issue is the minute the band begins to apply that avenue is cut off but using the gap it continues before during and after band apply to help keep band and drum cool. Every little bit helps when you consider how many more times the band slide on that drum at 6000 rpm before it actually stops .
Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
YES! spray the drum to keep the band and drum cool.
I have a drill jig made but you can eyeball it too for DIY guys
Can either of you elaborate more on this mod? I havnt heard of this yet??
Old 10-31-2023 | 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie
10 Year Member

Pretty soon if we don't learn to shut up we might as well just build for free

It's as simple as it sounds...find a suitable spot/passage in the case...drill a hole you feel is appropriately sized to spray oil at the rev drum to keep it and the band lubed/cool
Old 10-31-2023 | 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Pretty soon if we don't learn to shut up we might as well just build for free

It's as simple as it sounds...find a suitable spot/passage in the case...drill a hole you feel is appropriately sized to spray oil at the rev drum to keep it and the band lubed/cool
True enough. Course now people have made so many youtube vids on how to do everything, Some good some OMG , Some like wow I watch them and what they say and Im like OMG I hope no one does that. Or explaining operation wrong. Saw one the other day the guy said the Band was on in the rossler brake and while yes it could be if you have 2nd gear start and a few changes but not in the configuration as Rossler sends it. In fact Rossler clearly states it will only work in D 1ST GEAR.
And other crazy things.

Me I do probably tell more than I should but hoping it helps to revive this forum .

vorteciroc (11-01-2023)
Old 10-31-2023 | 09:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
Can either of you elaborate more on this mod? I havnt heard of this yet??
IM me Ill tell how I do it

Quick Reply: Band lining separation