Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 Tips and Tricks Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
What issue are you having drivability wise? I have been doing this for years with no functional issues. . Line preseure in reverse and forward varies with throttle all operation normal though PRN to Drive a little firmer.
I sent a message to keep from getting this post too far out of whack.
The following 2 users liked this post by reubone:
FranksCustomTrans (05-07-2024), MaroonMonsterLS1 (05-07-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 499 Likes on 344 Posts

Looking forward to more on this one. I will be starting on a 700r4 refresh for someone and will share a few things then myself.

Old 06-16-2024, 08:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Little simple mod I do to allow a bit more adjustability of the TV . Does not seem like alot but as we all know with a 700r4 or even a 200r4 a little with the TV cable is A lot . I do on lathe but can be done several ways, Just gives throttle valve plunger a bit more travel.

Old 06-19-2024, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Here is a simple way to raise shift points , It is not linear as it has a greater effect on WOT than PT driving . I have a bunch of these little springs in various rates of the same diameter and height, but this particular spring is one of three usable from the harbor freight kit i use with cars I know have 355 to 373 gears, its stiffer than it looks . You can do some considerable shift timing work with these easily and they fit right in the pocket on bottom of valve.
Only downside is they do cause notably earlier coast downshifts which are more noticeable and in particular the 3-2 in D3 position. But handy quick and predictable for fine tuning in particular WOT shift points with minimal effect on part throttle and in most cars easy to access and again reverse if you do not like the result.
Bear in mind much like the TV cable adjustments a little is a lot I have found.
Best part is other than being careful with the gear during roll pin removal and install , Its something the customer can do pretty much foolproof to make shift timing adjustments' with little danger of messing or burning anything up.
Worse case they break a 5 dollar plastic gear. Lets face it is really hard for a builder to set WOT shift points on a 700r4 short of having the car or a dyno capable of 5 -6- 7 thousand RPM.

The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 08:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Up next is Line Bias
This is a very commonly misunderstood valve. And there's lots of guesswork across the net if you go searching.
I hope we can help make some sense of it here.

The line bias valve is very similar in operation to the TV Limit valve...It's just a limiting valve. But in this case, the Line Bias valve is placed between the TV and the Boost valve & accumulator valve.
The line bias valve turns TV oil into MTV oil. MTV oil is what's fed to the boost valve in the pump to control line pressure.
The Line Bias is intended to help give a quick initial line pressure rise, then taper off into a more gradual line pressure rise.
We want the pressure rise to taper after a certain point in stock vehicles because otherwise the shifts at heavy throttle would become unnecessarily firm.
Stock vehicles don't want/like/need to be unnecessarily firm.
BUT...they do need a quick initial rise to be capable of holding the tq the engine is producing.
In stock form, the Line Bias valve allows pressure to rise linearly until about half throttle...then it begins to taper off.

This is because Engine tq is not linear to throttle position. It follows a curve with a steep slope initially that tapers off.
At 50% throttle you might have 75% of max torque.
We want line pressure and shift firmness to follow the engine tq, not the throttle position.
This poses a problem with the Throttle Valve. Remember from above the TV is linear.
So, how do we make sure line pressure rises differently than TV rises? With the Line Bias Valve!

The line bias valve acts like a bouncer at a party.
When the party is empty, the bouncer will just let anybody in the line walk right in.
As the party starts to fill up and the venue is nearing capacity...he has to slow the number of people he can let in.

The line bias valve starts in the open position. It will allow TV oil to freely pass into the MTV circuit. For this stage of Line Bias operation, MTV is equal to TV. This gives the quick
MTV oil is fed to the end of the valve and tries to move the valve against spring pressure.
As TV pressure (and MTV pressure) starts to rise the valve begins to close against the spring. As the valve closes MTV will no longer be equal to TV. It will be less than TV.
This gives the "taper off" effect we're looking for so that the shifts and pressure don't get out of control.

MTV oil acts on the boost valve which controls line pressure
MTV oil also acts on the accumulator valve. This valve is used to control shift firmness. As MTV pressure tapers off...so will the accumulator oil pressure...which will keep the shifts firm but not let them "run away" and get too firm.

Now...how/why might we modify the line bias valve? Anybody that's installed a shift kit and paid attentiion to the instructions will notice that the line bias valve is one of the most commonly modified valves across any and all kits from whichever brand.
Some brands have you install a stiffer spring. Some have you block the valve entirely.
This is done because the line bias valve can limit the maximum achievable line pressure. So increasing the pressure allowed by the line bias valve will increase the max pressure the trans is capable of making.
Increasing the MTV pressure also means accumulator oil pressure can continue to rise for longer which leads to firmer and firmer shifts.
MTV oil is often modified because most performance or heavy duty based kits are OK with having more and more pressure with firmer and firmer shifts as throttle continues to increase. The kits aren't worried about a grandma in her 83 monte carlo complaining about a firm shift on the way to church.

A stiffer spring will allow MTV to match TV pressure for longer. It will also allow max line pressure to be higher.
Some kits have you block the line bias valve entirely. This means that MTV will always equal TV pressure.

I've attached some graphs that demonstrate how different springs can affect the MTV oil pressure vs TV pressure. And how that will affect line pressure in the trans.
These graphs are not gospel truth, TransGo I'm sure has EXACT spring rate charts but I haven't been able to source them, so this is data I gathered weighing and comparing different springs from Kits I've used over the years. There's a little variance for sure, but you'll get the visual which is the real goal.

Stock Form MTV oil raises quickly then tapers off at around half throttle (just like stock engine tq)
Red transgo spring raises quickly then continues to raise for alot longer until it finally starts to taper off. At around 85% throttle.
Blocking the Line Bias valve open means MTV will just track linear with TV oil.

I know that was really long winded...maybe even turned into rambling.
No Magazine editors here to help make sense of my rambling. But I hope somebody can gain something from it.
If anyone has questions or comments please don't hesitate to chime in! Thanks to those above who already have chimed in and shared some good tidbits.

I do not have photo but the way I stick the LINE BIAS VALVE is simple , Drop VB check ball in , Then stock spring, then another ball , then valve and end plug/ roll pin, makes valve pretty much imobile.

bbond105 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
Little simple mod I do to allow a bit more adjustability of the TV . Does not seem like alot but as we all know with a 700r4 or even a 200r4 a little with the TV cable is A lot . I do on lathe but can be done several ways, Just gives throttle valve plunger a bit more travel.
what exactly are we seeing here ? does this add to the setting of the TV valve?
Old 06-21-2024, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,244 Likes on 800 Posts

I'll get back to this thread someday fellas
I've just been so busy and don't wanna post half-assed tech here

sjsingle the mod you're seeing is the end of the TV is trimmed down just a small bit so it's flush with the VB casting
Usually it "pokes out" a little
FranksCustomTrans (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
what exactly are we seeing here ? does this add to the setting of the TV valve?
just cutting the raised area off end of sleeve to allow a little more TV travel capability, Can be very helpful to have that little bit more travel especially when dealing with non stock TV set up application's

Old 06-21-2024, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

gotcha.....this is the stock valve modified ? do you ever use the trans go valve ?
Old 06-21-2024, 05:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
gotcha.....this is the stock valve modified ? do you ever use the trans go valve ?
I have but its primary purpose is FT OD which is mostly pointless

Quick Reply: 700r4 Tips and Tricks Master Thread