Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about using 4L65e in truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about using 4L65e in truck

I have a 2000 5.3 truck(with Procharger), and my tranny has been on light duty for a while.
It slips on the 1-2 shift under WOT pretty badly, so I take it easy now until I get a new one.

After checking around on having a 4L60e built strong, and reading alot, my confidence in having one correctly built using HD parts, using correct tolerances has kind of waned.

If I buy a new GM 4L65e, will it bolt right up to my truck, and work with my programming? (I can change programming using Edit BTW)

I don't race. I just drive it, and I do use the power, but not sure how many years I will even keep the truck, so I don't really want to put 5-6 K(like a stage V FLP, with TC) in the tranny.

Will it bolt up and work?
How much is a 4L65e from my dealership?
any idea?
Thanks for any help!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

it should bolt right up and work fine (its externally the same as a 4L60E and the electronic controls will still work the same)....the only thing you have to be sure of is that you get the right one. there is a GM performance parts version that meant for performance car applications (this is the one i have). the tailhousing and valvebody calibration are car-specific. naturally you're going to have to make sure you get the TRUCK only version with the correct valvebody and the tailhousing that will mate to the transfer case (sorry i don't have the part number offhand). i'd assume both versions are probably close to the same price. mine listed for $2600 but i got it for dealer cost ($1850).

the hard parts on my 65 have been holding up well so far (knocks on wood). granted your truck is heavier than my car and likely makes more power/torque but the 65 is DEFINITELY a step up from the 4L60E. good luck.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help.
Would it be the same part # as the SS truck, or Escalade ?
Maybe I can call the parts center at the dealer and have them check to see if the part # is the same on both of those.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Procharged LM7
Thanks for the help.
Would it be the same part # as the SS truck, or Escalade ?
Maybe I can call the parts center at the dealer and have them check to see if the part # is the same on both of those.
yes as far as i know, it should be the same #.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2WD version of the 4L65-E is not used in any production vehicle at this time. It is sold only through GM Performance parts, for now. The version used in the Escalade, Denali, and Silverado SS is the 4WD/AWD version. It has a shorter tailshaft and no tailshaft housing. The transmissions are otherwise the same.