Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 valvebody problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004 | 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Default TH350 valvebody problem?

Anyone installed the transgo 350-3 stick shift kit in a TH350 valvebody? I just installed a TH350 in my car. I put the 350-3 kit in it and i have: Park, Reverse, Neutral, 3rd, 2nd, but no 1st gear. If you know a TH350, then you know that reverse and 1st use the same clutches(except for one uses the front set). I have completely replaced the valvebody and still no 1st. Any suggestions?
Old 09-21-2004 | 04:28 PM
On The Tree

I figured it out! You have to install the 350-2 programming kit also.
Old 09-22-2004 | 12:26 AM
Teching In

Default Problem

Make sure you installed the coil bound spring in the manual low control valve or you will have no manual low.

Hope this helps ,hutch
Old 09-22-2004 | 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hutch
Make sure you installed the coil bound spring in the manual low control valve or you will have no manual low.

Hope this helps ,hutch
I called transgo (which are very helpful I might add) and they mentioned exaclty what you did. I didn't change the control valve spring. So I pulled it back out and installed the necessary, put it back in and It binds in low!!

I called transgo again and they think I have a cross leak. The 2nd gear band and low/reverse clutches bind when shifted to manual low. Which I think means there might be a leak in the low/reverse piston or it could be a cross leak through a gasket or the valve body! Man what a pain...

Any Ideas?
Old 09-22-2004 | 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Well, men its not the valvebody, gasket, or the 2nd gear band. I pulled the tranny back apart and I fried the low/reverse clutches. I think its the case thats got the cross leak. I am going to have a second opinion tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2004 | 01:07 AM
Teching In

Default 350

Once you installed the spring that enabled the application of the low/rev clutch . The bind is caused because the 1-2 shift valve is sticking in the bore.
There should have also been a conical splitter spring that would go between the 1-2 detent sleeve and the 1-2 shift valve. There is a short and long spring in the kit and you would likely use the long one unless your trans is old and doesn't use the "S" link to retain the manual valve.

Hope this also helps some ,Hutch
Old 09-23-2004 | 04:10 AM
TECH Resident

So does it all work now?
Old 09-23-2004 | 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hutch
Once you installed the spring that enabled the application of the low/rev clutch . The bind is caused because the 1-2 shift valve is sticking in the bore.
There should have also been a conical splitter spring that would go between the 1-2 detent sleeve and the 1-2 shift valve. There is a short and long spring in the kit and you would likely use the long one unless your trans is old and doesn't use the "S" link to retain the manual valve.

Hope this also helps some ,Hutch
I'll look today, but I put 2 different valvebodies in this thing. I did install the splitter spring in the 1-2 shift valve. Thanks for your help, I will let you know later.
Old 09-23-2004 | 07:40 PM
On The Tree

I am just going to try another core. I think the problem is in the case. I'll start on it tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-26-2004 | 08:33 PM
On The Tree

The problem in my tranny wasn't a bad case. The problem was in the piston in the pump. The piston was for a v6 th350, and required one less clutch. I had the amount of clutches for a v8 and it was binding. I got it back together with the v8 piston and it would shift fine but if I took 2nd gear over 4000 it wouldn't go to 3rd. This problem was fixed by a shift kit. It boosted the line pressure to engage 3rd at any rpm. Wow, I can't believe this th350! I can't believe I ever had a 6 speed. haha

Quick Reply: TH350 valvebody problem?