Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI SSF 3500 slipping bad & chattering

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should take kevin up on his offer , also what makes you think if you buy any other brand converter you wont have some kind of problem with there converter , just do a search , ill bet if you had a yank converter they would blame it on your transmision , saying there converter is not the problem, or the tranny caused the converter to fail..

Just buy a yank and pray nothing goes wrong with it , IM SURE YOULL BE HAPPY WITH THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE,,, LOL LOL LOL
Old 10-11-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
THE SSF 3500 is my actual converter that I'm having the problems with, give me one reason why I should buy another one.

I've also been looking at VIG 3200, similar to the TCI 3500 and on sale at T-Byrne $650. 2 years warranty and one free restall.

I know that you are currently running a TCI 3500 and my point is that it is a good converter and if I were you I would not change. However if I did my 2nd choice would be the Vig3200.

I did run the Vig 3200 until I went with a higher stall converter (Yank….Big mistake!). The Vig3200 was a good converter that got my car into the 11s with just bolt on parts.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with boomcase. TCI makes a great product, i have had no trouble with my TCI3500. I think its like anything else if you abuse it its eventually going to break thats all part of the sport. Like stated above what if you buy a yank and the same thing happens maybe even sooner, i bet they dont come on here and tell you they will replace it. No matter what shipping is i would stick with good and honest customer service.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

I think the point is, the best customer service notwithstanding, and all logic aside, he has decided to buy a new converter and he wants a Yank. Alternative suggestions seem to be wasted type ... 'cept maybe if he goes with the Vig.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I like the free restall policy and 2 year warranty on the VIGs. From reading a lot through searches, I found that VIG had a pretty high ratio of customer satisfaction.
I think I'm going to get a VIG 3200, because when I get my new motor in next Summer it is going to need a restall and that will fit my bill.

I liked the performance gains of the TCI, and believe me I'm aware that parts can fail. It's just so that it happened now. So I'm switching.
When I bought the TCI, I knew what I was getting into and I'm not dissapointed about it's performance over last year, I just wished it would have lasted a little longer.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure the value of Vig's free restall and warranty to you. To use either one will cost you round trip shipping. I would give TCI another try. You are out the shipping (1 or both ways) but the converter is free.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I'm not sure the value of Vig's free restall and warranty to you. To use either one will cost you round trip shipping. I would give TCI another try. You are out the shipping (1 or both ways) but the converter is free.
Well there are some other benefits to VIGs in part qualities. Just the fact that VIG waranties its verters with a written 2 year, no questions asked is enough for me.
Also no down time as I will receive my VIG within 5 days.

This is beside the fact that I've lost a lot of faith in TCI quality.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

the guy is offering to send you a free converter in exchange for the failure. What else do you want him to do? You aren't even POSITIVE it is the converter.

I would get another TCI and make sure the programming/fluid level is properly done.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm positive it is the converter, I thanked him for his offer, but I do not want it in my car anymore.
I have installed the VIG 3200, no "chatering", and no tuning needed yet, same str 2.5.
Car feels better, like the power is properly distributed. I have to watch it on launch as the tires wil go up in smoke now (Yoko's 18'/285), that wasn't the case with the TCI, little spin then grip, not the case anymore.
The TCI had been in my car for a year or so and did not act like that in the begining, I changed the fluid and filter in the FLP tranny (1 month old), no apparent residue or shavings, so that is allright.
I simply do not feel confident to put another SSF back in there and also due to the fact that I did not want extended down time and that a new verter would only cost me $150 more than shipping the TCI from overseas, back and forth with customs and the boatload of paperwork involved.

I have posted before and was an advocate of TCI SSF and its performance untill this happened.
It is just a matter of choice and Kevin made an outstanding offer, which I might have taken if I was in the States. I thank him again for doing so.

Quick Reply: TCI SSF 3500 slipping bad & chattering