Sponsored by:

No 4th gear after metal acc piston & billet OD servo, HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No 4th gear after metal acc piston & billet OD servo, HELP please

I posted this in the truck section as well. 2003 silverado 5.3/4l60e

I finally got around to installing the billet OD servo. I also dropped the pan and unbolted (3 bolts) the 3-4(?) accumulator piston assembly to replace my cracked plastic piston with a metal one. I have not yet replaced the 1-2(?) plastic piston behind the valve body. Previously I had installed the 'vette servo and transgo s/k. I also removed the transgo "ring" in the servo assembly so im running zero washers, no rings, 'vette 1-2, billet 3-4, and metal piston in the 3-4? assembly.

I bolted everything up and took it for a test drive. No 4th gear!!!! The converter locks in 3rd, but that's it. I made sure the shift linkage wasn't disturbed when I dropped the pan. Did I mess up the servo assembly? Or was it the metal piston in the pan? I wish I had done them one at a time

The servo assembly has 1/16 to 1/8 play as per billet OD instructions. I lost my transgo instructions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Banned

Default hey

Hey revolution, First off the three bolts hold the 1-2 accum. in a cup. Thats the one external,(with the three washers from the transgo). The 4th accum. is under the spacer plate.(internal), than there is one in the valve body itself it is your forward accum. The ring moves the pin closer to the band, to decrease the amount of travel. Judgeing from what you have said, and assuming you've done everything correct(checked your fliud level), I'd bet you've got a cut or missing o-ring or seal, (depending on brand of billet servo), on the servo assembly itself. I have and will; if needed, Fax you copies of the transgo instruction sheet. PM and let me know....hope this helps you...Dave
Old 11-29-2004, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks! I took the servo assembly out and sure enough, both of the seals - blue and black were almost completely off. They didnt have any tears, so i made sure I coated them in ATF and reinstalled them. I have 4th again! And my 1-2 shift is sooooo much better with the metal acc piston. Before my truck would hesitate just a little with 3/4 throttle as soon as it shifted out of 1st. Now, its smooth and fast and perfect.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion on the accum. One day I might get behind the plate to replace the plastic 4th accum piston. For now, Im happy with the superior billet OD servo and metal 1-2 piston. I wish I had a working fax machine, I'd take you up on your offer to fax me the transgo instructions...Thanks again, Ben
Old 11-29-2004, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One day I might get behind the plate to replace the plastic 4th accum piston.
Are you sure it's plastic? I just did my '02 in my camaro and the accumulator in the case was aluminum, the one on the bottom (1-2) was plastic.