Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mr23, nice writeup and pics. Are you going to leave it up on the web for awhile?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

it'll stay up as long as i own the car. so, it won't be coming down anytime soon.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Default am i sure you're sure that you're sure?

Yes, i'm confused.
I did this install today and i think i am wooried about nothing.
My problem is in regards to symantics.
1. I connected the tranny return line out of the top of the radiator to the top line from the cooler.
2. I connected the tranny return line going to the tranny to the bottom of the cooler.
I did not delete the stock cooler nor cut the supply line in any way.
HERES MY QUESTION:

When i did a feel test, the temp of the supply line is very cool to the touch as compared with the return line. IS THIS BECAUSE THE FLUID IN THE RETURN LINE IS RETURNING TO THE COOLER? Or is the fluid in the return line traveling back to the tranny. Naming the "return line" as such made me think the fluid was returning to the tranny but the touch test makes me think other wise. This may help other novices like myself. Just putting arrows on that picture of the lines lying on the work bench on the "transmission R&R" page would suffice, thanks.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A FLUID DIAGRAM SHOWING PATH OF FLUID SO I CAN QUIT TYPING IN CAPS?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

the hotter of the two lines is the supply from the trans. easy enough. so in rad from trans, out rad to cooler, out cooler to trans. usually the supply from trans is under more pressure. so it would have a crimped fitting instead of a clamp. i noticed the clamped one goes to the top of the rad. which confused me why they would go bottom from top in the rad.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrr23
the hotter of the two lines is the supply from the trans. easy enough. so in rad from trans, out rad to cooler, out cooler to trans. usually the supply from trans is under more pressure. so it would have a crimped fitting instead of a clamp. i noticed the clamped one goes to the top of the rad. which confused me why they would go bottom from top in the rad.
thats the thing, the clamped "return line" coming from the top of the radiator goes to the cooler and then out from the cooler and back to the tranny.
HOWEVER, the crimped line is cooler to the touch. This is on a 98 TA so i know i hooked it up to the same lines as yall. I have not had it down of the rack yet, i was checking for leaks and let the car heat up till the thermostat opened and the dash rad. temp gauge was reading 170ish. i can't figure out why the supply line is cool, and the return line is hot because im pretty sure i didnt hook it up backwards. Cooler is hayden and does not have a check valve or directional input as far as i know (nothing in manufactures instructions regarding such.)
Could it just be that without actually driving the car, im not seeing the temp on the supply line? just heat transference from rad to return line? I figured return line would be cooler than supply line even allowing the car to idle up and shifting through gears on the rack...
Old 03-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Teching In

regarding supply line to bottom and return line out the top, i figure it has to do with pressure and gravity. if the supply line went in top, it would stand to reason the the higher pressure would result in the fuild passing more quickly through the cooler thanks to gravity, thus reducing cooling. supply line at the bottom would mean the pressure has to push the fluid uphill so it would take longer to pass through stock cooler, thus longer fluid/fluid heat sink values.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

here's a deinite way to determine supply line. take them off and see which one spits out at you. but again the hotter one is the supply. currently my trans is out or i'd verify the direction. i didn't check. i just went by crimped vs clamped line. but i bypassed the rad anyway.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Resurrecting from the dead Please Need answer

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
One reason the stock cooler is so small is because fluid to fluid heat exchangers are more efficient than fluid to air heat exchangers.
If you live in cold climates you need to keep the stock cooler in the circuit.
I thought about this when deciding to delete the stock from the loop and use the remote exclusively as I live in a cold climate for about 5 months..

But if this is true I would like to know why is this necessary? What is the risk if the cooler is being blasted with cold air while cruising down the road?

Bottom line is I'm trying to understand if anyone has any solid data to back up issues where the cooler is overkill in this scenario such that it would be a detriment to the life and or proper function of the trans.

Kind regards,

Matt
Old 01-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Restricted User

So couldn't you put in a 160 degree thermostate and get it tuned for the 160 state and than it would make ur trannny fluid alot cooler?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z99ls1
So couldn't you put in a 160 degree thermostate and get it tuned for the 160 state and than it would make ur trannny fluid alot cooler?
I could if that was the temp I wanted my engine fans and T-stat to operate at, but its not... I have already done research regarding why thats not an option for me and thats a different conversation that diverts away from my primary question.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Miss conceptions about the 4L60E 4L80E

5- TRANS Fluid can get to cold and gel at subzero temps.

No it can’t at least not at any temperature where people can live. Think of it this way if it could then in Canada or Alaska the fluid would be gel in the pan in the morning on start up and would wipe the pump out immediately. I have poured fluid from a bottle at -5 degrees and while it’s just a little thicker it’s certainly not gel. Transmission fluid is made to have a very stable viscosity at all temperatures. I am sure like all liquids there is a temp where this could occur but none I have seen.
Found the answer i was looking for.. I assumed that this was correct as the fluid was designed to flow at low temps and my region, while it can be quite cold during the winter months, is not the arctic circle..