Sponsored by:

TCI vs. Yank 4400 results

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JNorris
$128 to fix and update a converter!!

WOW prices sure have dropped from the $600 you quoted me 1.5 years ago to have mine fixed and updated.

PM sent to you.

John
AND PM sent to you also!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the time we put the org. label on the converter as that how it was built and the work order reflects the work to be done and I do all the converter builds and restalls and have restalled your converter for you! also the cost was to upgrade to the newer stlye insides, that was way below cost!
Well then I guess you did me a favor then, "Newer Style Insides" were never mentioned in our numerous phone conversations. Also, I never received a work order just a box, converter, and some foam. All I wanted you to do was fix YOUR defective product so I could drive my car again. You originally told me that it was going to be over $200 to fix it. I had to haggle you down to $100 plus shipping.
The point of my story was that I shouldn't have had to pay anything to have the converter fixed, I was only 8 months into a 2 year warranty. You said the lockup clutch was damaged and IMO that should be covered under your warranty since it is inside the converter. The only reason I paid your ransom for my converter was because my car was sitting on jackstands with no converter in it. Don't worry about trying to justify what you did to me. You lost my business years ago! As Paul Harvey would say, "Now you know the rest of the story."
Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

my little 3000tt has netted me 1.61 60 fts,and a gain of 2 mph,same da.documented.oh and i forgot over the last 3 years well over 500 passes in the high to mid 11s.with no problems, maybe that 4400 is not a real good one (PRIMO).i would not change mine for no reason,tci makes good stuff,but im going with what i know works!!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hugger
Well then I guess you did me a favor then, "Newer Style Insides" were never mentioned in our numerous phone conversations. Also, I never received a work order just a box, converter, and some foam. All I wanted you to do was fix YOUR defective product so I could drive my car again. You originally told me that it was going to be over $200 to fix it. I had to haggle you down to $100 plus shipping.
The point of my story was that I shouldn't have had to pay anything to have the converter fixed, I was only 8 months into a 2 year warranty. You said the lockup clutch was damaged and IMO that should be covered under your warranty since it is inside the converter. The only reason I paid your ransom for my converter was because my car was sitting on jackstands with no converter in it. Don't worry about trying to justify what you did to me. You lost my business years ago! As Paul Harvey would say, "Now you know the rest of the story."

We stopped making them almost over 2 1/2 years ago so it was not that new! and the clutch was worn not broken that is not a defect. defects are covered under warrenty , that is a item that is like brakes some people can use them out quick and others last along time! WE see converters like yours, that have many miles some over 70K that do not even need the clutch replaced on rebuild.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

You told me my lock-up clutch was warped out of round, not worn, and you were the one who mentioned that you had updated me to "newer style insides." Sounds like a defective lock-up clutch to me. I have records of our numerous conversations. This also happened to be around the time that some of your other customers were complaining of broken converters. Then all the sudden you quit making the ST series. My car only had 36,019 miles on it when the converter was professionally installed, and it had 40,000 on it when it broke. My brakes last a hell of a lot longer than that! I will admit that the rebuilt converter you have sent me works exactly as advertised. But still I will never buy one of your converters again. It's just too much trouble. I think you make a good product, you just don't back it up and thats a problem.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
my little 3000tt has netted me 1.61 60 fts,and a gain of 2 mph

see some of you are not seeing all of this. bains car with him in it weighs 3400 lbs. not some of you running stock internal and no weight. 3400 lbs and a tci 3800 stall he had a 60' of 1.49
Old 03-06-2005, 09:07 PM
12 Second Club

ouch!! sombody better lower there price... Im running a TCI SSF 3500 too however Im having problums with it locking up right now, unkown to why this is maybe a tune so I cant say for sure whats wrong with it but I can tell you this much there is noway in hell I would pay that much $ for a freaking converter! Ill take my broke posibly broke tci anyday....theres my .02 cents not that it matters
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe his yank was simply not a good one!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

WE stoped making the st3500 and st3800 because they we could not get all the special parts and they cost us more that we sold them for.
Sorry, that you have a issue with ,but the root cause was not the converter clutch
I have never talked to you about your clutch that was Dave
and it was worn as I worked on it, you put many miles on it and if it was bad it would not have worked from day one!
I have hand built and over 18,000 performance converters in my time as a converter builder an I can tell you the cause of a failure, thats what I do !
Again we are sorry that this happened
Old 03-07-2005, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JaSSoN
Yank is the best out there. Most people that are having a problem with their Yank verter dont have the suspension set up right or their not ready for the loosness of the PT series on the street. If you get the set up right the e.t. and mph will be there.
GD can't you people read. Trust me my car's suspension is setup fine
The E.T. and mph was not there period. I will give the Yank one more chance at the track once I get everything from the move situated. If it doesn't 60' and mph better then the TCI is going back in.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silent but Violent
I agree with Magnus. I don't see a TCI pulling a better 60' or giving me more ET in my car. But, I could be wrong. This Yank converter has gave me unbelieveable 60' times and ET. Not to mention the impressive 1/8th and 1/4 trap speeds....
I'm not argueing with you, but how do you know the TCI wouldn't

I pulled a 1.49 60' with my TCI 3800 and 3450 lbs on ET Streets before Magnus and you did with your Yanks

Look here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/136842-new-stock-internal-best.html
Old 03-07-2005, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

You must be thinking of another dissatisfied customer because my warranty case was almost 3 years ago, and the guy I talked to on the phone was DALE not Dave and yes I did talk to you as well Mike, several times in fact. Trust me, I have records. I even still have the box. But that is beside the point. Why don't we just agree to disagree and never do business with one another again. I apologize for getting this post off topic.
-Josh
Old 03-07-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

This should just be an informative thread, no bashing Yank or TCI or anyone else for that matter, I dont think that was really the intention of this tread. Those who have issues with either company need to keep in between each other in PM's, email, or on the phone please.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm all for a constructive comaprison of 2 products..

I am biased toward Yank because that alone is what made my car as quick as it is. I'll believe TCI is faster in an NA SI car when a TCI car climbs the latter and sits near the top with the YTP4400's..

Also,, people dont' race dyno sheets and HP.. When I look for a converter I look for what will 60' and 1/8th the quickest.. MPH is never a concern... that is if you are racing for the quickest ET.

I am confident that I would not have gone faster with a TCI.. Not because I have tried a TCI converter... Only because I know my combo was maxed and I highly doubt anything would have made my car quicker. The YTP4400 worked all around for my car. It made it a BEAST on the highway too.. instant power band.

Bain, I still didn't get how you were launching your YTP4400? I had best results stalling it up to 3500. I tried stalling it up higher and lower and went slower.

Also, lets just say that TCI 4400 that flashes at the same speed the YPT440 and the TCI is a better converter.. How much better can it be really? YPT4400 is a proven converter you can't argue that. If the TCI is indeed better, we're talking about such a minute margin.

Chosing a converter is always a difficult task. Unless you go with something that is proven you are gambling with the whole restall/brand game..
Old 03-08-2005, 07:15 AM

Keith – I agree that the performance between the TCI4400 and YPT4400 will be small.

I also think your YPT4400 performance results are not the norm and are the result of your extremely low race weight of ~3050 lbs.

I think BAIN’s results are much more typical of the real world performance with his realistic 3400 lbs race weight that MOST people will see.

John
Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Magnus,
Since my car is still my daily it will never see 2900-3000 lbs. so I guess we won't know if my TCI could be as fast as your car Although the TCI 4400 is sitting right here in a box since the Yank is in it right now. If you want to do a comparison on your car I can send it to you to try
Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Never tried the TCI but I have been pleased with the Yank
10.71 @ 127.8 with a 1.41 60ft 3325 lbs.
Car is currently about 150-200lbs lighter so new times coming soon.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

BAIN it has been from 3/2 that you posted and you have not CALLED me or sent me a phone# to call you! today is 3/8
I guess you do not want us to help you with some answers on what to look for!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

I just didn't think you could help me over the phone. I will give you a call though also a name to ask for would be helpful.

*****BTW guys as Lynda said this thread was not ment to turn into a flame fest I was just sharing information with others.*****

Last edited by BAIN; 03-08-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bain, thanks for the offer. I would take you up on it but my car is already undergoing the cam only transformation..

I noticed Hawkn01 was using a TCS or TCT to run 11.2 in his NA SI car.. and he's the #2 guy.. so who knows..

Maybe the TCI is a better converter in a heavier car.

Either way good luck with whichever converter you choose. It seems that both seem to be great converters.

- Keith

Quick Reply: TCI vs. Yank 4400 results