Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter install

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default torque converter install

Just pulled out the old converter and kinda wonts some assurance that things are going right..

I have been using a very good link for the removal of all the items..

http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall

But it doesnt give much on the install such as what bolts are important to torque to a specific amount..

I assume I need to use locktight on the flywheel bolts and tq them down to specs... Also need to tq down the bellhousing bolts to spec and all the others should be fine unless i can find a guide..

One important thing. My converter sits about a quarter inch back from the flexplate when the bellhousing is bolted up.. Should I push it against it?

Also is there a break in period before I get on it or just the letting it idle for a while to get flood flowing?

Thanks for the help
Old 04-10-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you're doing good! There are certain specs for every bolt, but generally just make sure they are snug. Then go over them once more to be certain.

Did you make sure your TC was in all the way with a straight edge? It sounds like you have it, but MAKE SURE.

Just let it idle for a while, then check your fluid, then I'd let it rip. People say they wait to break it in, but you know they goosed it hard a few times coming out of the driveway. There really aren't any parts that need to get cozy with eachother, so I don't think there's a break in.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Launching!

I'm sure like the break in period everyone has their own set way of doing the install but I'll tell you how I did it.
After I got the tranny back in I left the car on the stands and fired it up and let it idle a few seconds then went through all the gears spending 20 seconds or so in each gear just to make sure everything was getting fluid. That's the way I've always heard to do it so that's how I do it. You'll get an "abs inop" light when you do this but don't worry it goes away when you put the car down and start driving it.
Straight edge the convertor like he said and it'll pull down snug to the flywheel as you tighten the bolts down. Sounds like you're on the right track. How'd everything come off? Pretty decent? What about the damn little E-clips?? How fun are they?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

I did it exackly like you did orion on the jack stands at first but then I could take it after uhh 2 miles and got on it from a roll and I was like dead spots what?

I love it.. I do have issues with tuning I will have to sort out but that was expected..

E-clips were a bitch more so to put on than to come off. Once you get a good look at the 1st one the 2nd wasnt too bad coming off but my friend is smaller can get his hands all around the tranny...

One question tho.. My 3 tq converter bolts were TOO LONG?? I didnt read anything about this. Since its easy to get those bolts on and off I just cut them and put them in for now since I had to have it back at the body shop by monday.. Not much drving on it at all. Im going to find out what the problem was and fix that when I get it back..

thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Launching!

You should've gotten new bolts with your convertor that are much shorter. Not to mention that you could've gotten a normal bolt instead of the allen heads. What kinda stall did you put in?
I buttoned up my stall a couple weeks ago. Went to the track for the first time yesterday and smoked the rear end. It's always something I guess.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

I bought a used vig 3600 multi disc. It was actually brand new however because of the restall and never run since the. I didnt get bolts. But i will be ordering some.. I think I hear a clunking noise coming from under there at first but im not sure if that just because of lack of fluid at first or what. It was really last last night so I wasnt too worried about it until later.

another thing is that when the converter locked ino position it was sitting about 1/4 inch from the flexplate and I read to push it up flush to it so i did. But since I have been searching i have found that you are suppose to use washers?

Im going to call vig now.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1/4" is to much pull out. SHIM it with hardened washers for 3/16-1/8" pullout.

Steve