Sponsored by:

Is this a bad converter from Yank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Yank Converter is Bad.

Originally Posted by BAIN
I know it sucks spending the time and money to swap out converters. I have been through the same thing. I bet if you put the stock one back in the problems go away. Then guess where the problem lies
You Win! The stock converter solved the problem.

I sent the stock converter out and had it rebuilt and restalled to 2400, we were unable to test the Yank converter in place because it was too long.

We removed the YANK and determined that it had damaged about 1/16 in of the spline on the Transmission. Yank would never admit that they have a machining problem, but the stock converters don’t do this! Both converters that they sent were defective.

To make a long story short, I got screwed by YANK CONVERTERS Inc.! I just spent $2000, to end up with the original converter back in the car.

Any one want a converter that Yank say is ok for real cheap! Has about 50 miles on it.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe Yank uses a wider inner race on the converters stator....and your stock narrow race already had a step worn into your transmissions stator support preventing the Yank from going on all the way...
Old 04-27-2005, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Default Yank excuse Number 105

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Maybe Yank uses a wider inner race on the converters stator....and your stock narrow race already had a step worn into your transmissions stator support preventing the Yank from going on all the way...
Interesting, so you are suggesting that I have to machine the transmission to install a Yank Converter?, Yank themselves never came up with that one, purhaps we can call that . Yank excuse Number 105
Old 04-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by billc5
Interesting, so you are suggesting that I have to machine the transmission to install a Yank Converter?, Yank themselves never came up with that one, purhaps we can call that . Yank excuse Number 105
I'm not taking sides just trying to help be an ******* if you want I don't give a **** one way or the other. You obviously just want to slam Yank seeing how you had no question about what I posted, you probably have no clue what I'm talking about. You sound like the type of guy who pays people to do everything for you and right now your just translating all the BS everyone has been telling you.
I would have approached the problem a different way.
Have you personally inspected the stator support on your transmission?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

so you are suggesting that I have to machine the transmission to install a Yank Converter?, Yank themselves never came up with that one
This quote tells me you have no clue what so ever about converter installation.
If you had the condition I described you could just tap the converter past the ridge with the handle end of a hammer. (uh oh I used the word hammer for a converter installation..more ammo for you).
So everything you've bitched about came right from your mechanic, you never set your eyes on anything.
Never took the converter to a converter shop and had them check it either. If I had $2000 into it I'd pay the $65 for a converter check, if you're that hell bent about calling someone wrong you should back it up with solid facts, not well my mechanic said this that and the other.
And by solid facts I mean say this converter shop said your converter is out of spec, etc.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Not trying to slam anyone here, sorry I offended your sensibilities, I assure you I meant nothing directed at you personally.
I am a Professional Engineer Licensed in 2 provinces and I do know about structural, stress/Strain analysis and if the installer is competent. The converters that YANK sent to me for this C5 did not fit. Ive pulled wrenches on everything from go-carts to D10’s (that’s a bulldozer) and have a good idea about proper machining.

I am now driving the C5 A4 with a stock restalled (2400) converter, and I will tell you it is a joy and a pleasure and I got exactly what I was looking for. Shifting and lock up are outstanding. I have had this car for 3 years since new with the blower added at 4000 miles in August of 2002. Over the years I have reset all the shift points and Lock up management and I can’t tell you how well behaved this converter is. However, I cannot attest to the durability without more experience.

I am not about to waste any more time or money proving that a defective converter has even more problems. It is good enough for me knowing that the vibrations are gone, that clearances are correct, and that the driving manors are even better than the Yank converter.

The reason that I expose this experience on this forum is;

1. To seek help for others with more experiences and knowledge.
2. For others to benefit from my situation.
3. It’s a hobby and entertaining, and the moment it is not I’ll say good by.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Banned

I assure you I meant nothing directed at you personally.
Same here.
That last post is most informative about you and your decision making. After reading it I feel you did the right thing.
Glad you got it going the way you like it.