Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my "bullit proof" 4L80e is hurt

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my "bullit proof" 4L80e is hurt

Last September I bought a 4L80e trans from Performance Automotive and transmission in LA. I bought the "quadzilla", it has a full manual valve body (no electonics what so ever). I payed just over $3100 for it.
I put it in last fall and drove it a little over 150miles or so before it was time to put it away for the winter. On warm days when it was nice id take it out for a drive so everything wasnt sitting for months.
I pulled it out of the garage a few weeks ago and been driving it a little. Tonight i drove around town for alomst an hour not beating on it at all and when I got in the throttle and shifted to second at about 4800-5000rpm it just went to 6000rpm and hit my rev limiter. I had to lift of the gas to get it into 2nd and it was a very lazy shift. It still shifts fine at part throttle but at WOD it will slip. i just got home and am wating for it to cool off and take it out and see what happens again when its cool. The temp was just under 195* on my guage so i know it wasnt cooked.
Sucks bad since my warranty ended 2 or 3 weeks ago. Hopefully they will work something out since its not even paid for yet and has 300 miles on it.

Anybody have an idea what could be the cause.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put a transmission pressure gauge on it, drive around and watch the pressures.
You can use a 0-500 psi gauge and various fittings.
That PATC trans is vacuum modulated, I wonder what they do to prevent high line pressure. WOT would be low vacuum and that should give it high line pressure.
I've seen my gauge go past 500 psi on a stock trans with a sticking boost valve.
I've also seen those blow apply pistons apart, crack cases, break reverse servos, etc when they hit those high pressures.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Took it out for drive and it was fine now that it cooled off. Still freaking me out though.

This trans has no vacum modulator. I read they did away with those.

I will get a guage and check the pressure if it does it again.I think it might have just gotton warm since i drove it so long but my guage never went past 200 even at full throttle though.

Would it be allright to run 2 trans coolers? i have one right now and its a good size one made by Durale I cant imagine what temp it be running at when its 90* outside
Old 05-06-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run mine through the stock radiator side cooler then through a 28,000 gvw cooler mounted in front.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. You're in for a rough time with those guys...

I'm sure you will try to work with them to get this resolved but you have the opportunity right now to prevent the worst time and money-sucking experience of your life by staying as far away from that place as possible.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Didnt slip today at all when I took it out for a test drive today but am still giving them a call Monday.

James seems as though ive only been hearing more and more of that lately from people.I didnt hear nothing bad about them before i dropped my 3100 bucks on them

I really like this trans except the pathic piece of trash they call a converter that comes with it.