Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift problem that disappears after restarting car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift problem that disappears after restarting car

I recently went for a long 2 hour drive (road trip), and near the end, my shifts got rough. 1-2 shift was like a rapid series of bumps, and the 2-3 shift was harder than usual. This was under part throttle, and seemed worse the lighter the throttle I applied (opposite to what I would have guessed). I didn't try WOT.

After I stopped the car, restarted it 5 minutes later, and the problem was gone.

Drove home another 2 hours, and it reappeared after 90 minutes or so again. Again, when I stopped the car and restarted, it was gone. Almost as if the heat got up, and after I restarted the car, the PCM was cleared of the problem. But it seems like an odd PCM problem to me.

Fluid level is good, but I noticed a slight smell and some faint blackness on my hands after running the stick over my hand. At the least I'll change the fluid and filter, but am concerned about worse.

I have a SY3500 with a tranny cooler. No problems for 4 years that set up. The fluid is about 23 years old, and 15K miles.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:27 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddies car does the same thing. its about to get junked and get a th350.
you dont have to shut his off, you just have to come to a complete stop, and manually shift it into 1st.

it will shift fine for days.... then mess up, and continue for a day or two. then all is good again.
its gotta be electrical. the car has about 1K on the new tranny and it aint went out yet.
cant figure it out.... almost the same problem.
suckage.
TTT for you.