Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP tranny dipstick tube problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP tranny dipstick tube problem!!

when put my motor back together on my 98' t/a i never re inserted the rubber gromet in the tranny dipstick tube before i put the tube back. now i managed to get the grommet back in and now the tranny dip stick wont go down the tube???.... i was pulling and bending on the tube to try and get the seal back in and i think i may have bent the tube.. has anyone ever come across something like this??.... or am i the only dumb a$$
if anyone has a quick fix for this i would really like to hear it. my only other option is to just cut it out and use a flexable line...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem happen on my converter install, it took over 2 hours to get the tube back in, Had to pry and hammer alot, it took 2 people one under the car and another pushing from the engine area..
Old 06-09-2005, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

same thing happened to me with the grommet. the tube could be bent but make sure your grommet isnt ripped either. did you try flipping the dipstick over? do you still have the dipstick bolted to the bellhousing? try unbolting it before if so.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
same thing happened to me with the grommet. the tube could be bent but make sure your grommet isnt ripped either. did you try flipping the dipstick over? do you still have the dipstick bolted to the bellhousing? try unbolting it before if so.
the only bolt holding it in, is the one on the back of the head. tried pushing pulling bending going to give it another try after work. might just cut the old tube out bc i bought a new one and just sleeve in the new tube. but the tube into the pan, and sleeve it in up top such a pain 1 step foward two steps back. i might try lowering the tranny down and see if that helps mabye the stick is gettign caught on something
Old 06-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Launching!

i still might just cut it out, and use a steel braided line i just want this over with. i do need a stall converter but dont have the money to do it at the moment, so i can be looking at the same problem once i do it???....
Old 06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigken
i still might just cut it out, and use a steel braided line i just want this over with. i do need a stall converter but dont have the money to do it at the moment, so i can be looking at the same problem once i do it???....
Probably not if you install the tube correctly before the trans is bolted in, on my car the grommet was not sealed properly before the trans got bolted in, when I started it up, it sprayed trans oil...and to fix the leak, the tube had to be backed out and a new grommet put in...a lot of work....however since you are aware of the potential problem, I am sure you won't have that problem when you install the converter.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try removing the coil packs on the pass side, then take the bolt out that on the back of the head holding the dipstick tube. I did the same exact thing with my new trans. & thats how I got it back in. With the coil packs out of the way you have more room to move the dipstick. Good Luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by T/A Rumbler
Probably not if you install the tube correctly before the trans is bolted in, on my car the grommet was not sealed properly before the trans got bolted in, when I started it up, it sprayed trans oil...and to fix the leak, the tube had to be backed out and a new grommet put in...a lot of work....however since you are aware of the potential problem, I am sure you won't have that problem when you install the converter.
thanks for the warning, hopefully i can resolve this problem today what a headache. car has been done for over a week just being held back by a stubborn tube.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99PewterZ28
Try removing the coil packs on the pass side, then take the bolt out that on the back of the head holding the dipstick tube. I did the same exact thing with my new trans. & thats how I got it back in. With the coil packs out of the way you have more room to move the dipstick. Good Luck.

the car is at a friends shop going to try to fix it later on today again, the tube is in the pan, but the bracket doesnt line up with the hole in the head and the stick wont go all the way down the tube