Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news on my TCI converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Bad news on my TCI converter

Well I have had the converter in the car for approx 1500 miles. At 600 miles I was starting to get a little "flutter" during lockup and it would suddenly pop out of lockup in 3rd.

As a temporary measure I removed lockup in third gear and set the converter to lock in fourth above 60mph. Well that worked for a little while...

After about 100 miles the converter started slipping in fourth and the temps would start going up.

Finally last week the lockup died altogether.

When I have the car in fourth and it is supposed to be locked the tranny temps will creep up to 200-210 degrees. If I shift back down to third (where it is unlocked) they drop quickly back to the 175-180 degree range.

I have a 99 C5 with only 7500 miles on it. I specifically bought the 298mm lockup clutch with the 245mm converter on Kevin's advice. He said it would not slip.

I have spoken to Kevin about this problem and he wants to send me a warranty converter. What I am worried about is the same thing happening again. He mentioned an upgraded lockup clutch but I do not want to have to pay an additional 250 on top of 400-500 to R&R the converter. (Plus pay shipping etc etc)

I have a C5 so converter swaps are a fairly significant job. (400-500 bucks a pop)

I am planning to do a fluid and filter change on wednesday to see if that helps.

What should I do? Should I have a replacement sent to me or put the stock back in and send the TCI back for a refund?

Has TCI fixed the lockup clutch problem on the SF3000???

If I have to drop the trans a third time I am going to snap.

Anyways Kevin if you read this please let us know what is being done to prevent this from happening again. I REALLY hope my trans isnt damaged.

If I get a replacement converter I want a guarantee the lockup clutch will not die again. I cannot afford the R&R costs and potential trans rebuild costs.

Chris

ps- What really bugs me about this is that the converter worked like a champ at the track. Times in sig were acheived with stock 99 motor with 2.73's, headers, and halltech intake.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
Well I have had the converter in the car for approx 1500 miles. At 600 miles I was starting to get a little "flutter" during lockup and it would suddenly pop out of lockup in 3rd.

As a temporary measure I removed lockup in third gear and set the converter to lock in fourth above 60mph. Well that worked for a little while...

After about 100 miles the converter started slipping in fourth and the temps would start going up.

Finally last week the lockup died altogether.

When I have the car in fourth and it is supposed to be locked the tranny temps will creep up to 200-210 degrees. If I shift back down to third (where it is unlocked) they drop quickly back to the 175-180 degree range.

I have a 99 C5 with only 7500 miles on it. I specifically bought the 298mm lockup clutch with the 245mm converter on Kevin's advice. He said it would not slip.

I have spoken to Kevin about this problem and he wants to send me a warranty converter. What I am worried about is the same thing happening again. He mentioned an upgraded lockup clutch but I do not want to have to pay an additional 250 on top of 400-500 to R&R the converter. (Plus pay shipping etc etc)

I have a C5 so converter swaps are a fairly significant job. (400-500 bucks a pop)

I am planning to do a fluid and filter change on wednesday to see if that helps.

What should I do? Should I have a replacement sent to me or put the stock back in and send the TCI back for a refund?

Has TCI fixed the lockup clutch problem on the SF3000???

If I have to drop the trans a third time I am going to snap.

Anyways Kevin if you read this please let us know what is being done to prevent this from happening again. I REALLY hope my trans isnt damaged.

If I get a replacement converter I want a guarantee the lockup clutch will not die again. I cannot afford the R&R costs and potential trans rebuild costs.

Chris

ps- What really bugs me about this is that the converter worked like a champ at the track. Times in sig were acheived with stock 99 motor with 2.73's, headers, and halltech intake.
I hope i don't have that problem. I just got the SF3000 with HD lock up, Haven't installed it yet
Old 06-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Bummer, man ... I agree that warranty replacement is great but doesn't make up for the costs of R&R ... and then you have to worry about it happening again. Reports of this was the one worry I had about buying a TCI. My lock-up has functioned perfectly for several thousand miles, and I have the standard lock-up clutch. But the threat of this was one of the reasons I went with the Transgo kit with it's upgraded TCC valve. So far so good ... sorry about your situation.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should take the valve body out and check the screen thats on the seperator plate. It can clog with friction material.