Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An honest discussion about high stall converters

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very good read. this is kind of what i want to know. i have been trying to figure this stuff out still and i still don't know since i get so many different responses.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made this post in a similar thread a long time ago, and killed the thread in the process, lol. No one replied after me, but I think I made a good explanation, so I'll post it here.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....25&postcount=8
(clicky ^, what I've typed below isn't what's in the link, lol)

Note that I did actually pick up peak power, as well as a ton of under the curve power when adding a converter. My mph went up, and my ET dropped a lot. (My ET dropped ~4-5 tenths with the same 60ft, and with good tires, it dropped to a total of 7-9 tenths on average) I think my ET dropping with even the same 60ft, shows that there's a large gain somewhere else than the 60ft, this is where the shift extension helps you. You can especially see that in he graphs I posted in my link above.

I've since moved to a 4400 converter, and am getting even better times. Even more so with headers, I've picked up another 6-7 tenths over my times with the 3800 and no headers. Do 6-speed cars generally pick up that much ET with headers? Maybe some of that gain is from the larger converter. A friend of mine picked up a similar gain (within a tenth) with the same mods.

I like to think an good stalled auto does the most with the hp it has, lol. With 6-speeds, there's a lot of driver error than can be involved. How fast you shift, do you let off the gas when you shift, what rpms do you shift at, etc? All those can easy add or subract several tenths when running down the 1/4 mile. I'm sure with absolutely perfect shifting and everything , you'd see a very good time out of a 6-speed, but even then you still lose time every time you shift.

Quick Reply: An honest discussion about high stall converters