Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do when you need a serious speed fix, and....

Old 07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What do you do when you need a serious speed fix, and....

....and third gear just doesn't go fast enough?

I hear too much about how hard it is on the tranny/converter to go WOT into overdrive. Normally that's not an issue, but I had a perfect opportunity today to go WOT away from a stoplight onto a two lane (plus wide shoulders) bridge that is probably a half mile long. It was just meant to be. There were no cars in front of me and there are nice concrete walls seperating me from the river and oncoming traffic.

The fastest I had ever gone was a measly 140 mph about three years ago and I remember watching the tach and speedo fight their way there. Well, with all the mods I've done the last few years I was shifting into overdrive at an indicated 135+ mph SOOO fast I couldn't believe it.
I was dissapointed because I wanted to go faster, car felt as if it was just going to keep pulling and pulling...but I didn't want to unduly stress my $2k+ tranny.

Even with my 3.23 gears and 6500 rpm shift points I was only going ~135 indicated mph when it shifted. Theoretically I'd be going 154 in order to hit redline in third, but the loose converter makes up for those extra 500 rpm and then some.

So, what do you do? Do you just live with not being able to go very fast?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
....and third gear just doesn't go fast enough?

I hear too much about how hard it is on the tranny/converter to go WOT into overdrive. Normally that's not an issue, but I had a perfect opportunity today to go WOT away from a stoplight onto a two lane (plus wide shoulders) bridge that is probably a half mile long. It was just meant to be. There were no cars in front of me and there are nice concrete walls seperating me from the river and oncoming traffic.

The fastest I had ever gone was a measly 140 mph about three years ago and I remember watching the tach and speedo fight their way there. Well, with all the mods I've done the last few years I was shifting into overdrive at an indicated 135+ mph SOOO fast I couldn't believe it.
I was dissapointed because I wanted to go faster, car felt as if it was just going to keep pulling and pulling...but I didn't want to unduly stress my $2k+ tranny.

Even with my 3.23 gears and 6500 rpm shift points I was only going ~135 indicated mph when it shifted. Theoretically I'd be going 154 in order to hit redline in third, but the loose converter makes up for those extra 500 rpm and then some.

So, what do you do? Do you just live with not being able to go very fast?
Get a bottle....it works
Old 07-01-2005, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue2000Z28
Get a bottle....it works
1) No bottle until I have purchased all of the fuel system upgrades, roll bar, and either have some forged internals or a second vehicle in case this one breaks.

2) Even with the bottle, I'd run into the issue where I have to let off rather than go into OD even sooner. Would be a great "problem" to have though.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I just live with it. I dont even have the temptation actually, because I KNOW my tranny wont do it. All 3->4 WOT shift points are set to 255 MPH, so my car just wont shift at WOT into 4th, it'll hit the limiter, and I HATE doing that so I just dont do it. 130+ MPH is "almost" fast enough for me anyway, so I just deal with it. It does make me sad sometimes though.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Raising the shift points so it'll hit the rev limiter is a very good way to keep yourself from doing it. Rev limiter sucks. I hit it quite a few times at WOT when my tranny (3-4 cluthes) was going out and I also HATED it.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Launching!

ok, So I am confused, Are you saying that you are running out of gear?? Or are you saying that you now need a 6-speed.....lol
Old 07-01-2005, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue2000Z28
ok, So I am confused, Are you saying that you are running out of gear?? Or are you saying that you now need a 6-speed.....lol
lol

I run out of gear because I just want to go faster and faster, to a point, but third stops around 135 mph and that is not enough. In this situation a six speed or an indistructable four speed auto is what I need. (like that's ever gonna happen)

I threw out the raising shift points thing because, AFAIK, it's not worth the fun to go WOT into overdrive. I have now done it twice. Once on old tranny and once on this one.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
lol

I run out of gear because I just want to go faster and faster, to a point, but third stops around 135 mph and that is not enough. In this situation a six speed or an indistructable four speed auto is what I need. (like that's ever gonna happen)
LOL.....i am still laughing at that one.....it makes me feel like i do need a 6-speed........hum............WS6.......Black....... .......12bolt, 3:90's............Full bolt ons, And a TREX......damn you...now you got me thinking...... Im not good at that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you do when you need a serious speed fix, and....