Old 07-04-2005, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Stall for me???

lookin for a stall preferrably a Yank but i am open to opinions
goin in an '02 SS
with these mods:

-full exhaust(long tubes,ory, catback)
-all inductions mods besides ported throttle body(FTRA,SLP LID,Smooth Bellow,K&N filter)
-dont know what gears my car has(it says on my 2.73 on my window sticker but its an SLP converted car and i was told i had 3.23 but i dont know)

plan to get a trans cooler with the stall..but dont know which one???
also, where does the cooler mount cuz if it is where i think then i will havta remove my FTRA since the lower duct mount rite in front of the A/C condenser

basically what i am askin...is with full exhaust and all induction mods(basically a stock car) what Stall do i need and what ALL other mods do i need to go with it???

thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Launching!

well if you are looking for dependability and reliabilty from your 4l60e i would not go more than a 2800 stall, but if you are a ***** to the wall person,and is looking to tear some **** up, **** it, and go with a 4400.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SEARCH!!

Get a B&M 24k gvw tranny cooler, trans-go shift kit, trans temperature gauge and preferably drag radials and nitto drag radials.

I was under the impression that every auto SS came with 3.23's.

Will you be getting a cam in the future?

Any other major mods planned?

Is it a daily driver?

Are you for some reason extra concerned with gas mileage?

Are you willing to run drag radials on the street constantly so you can stick?

Do you go to the track much, if so will you use an ET street or better while there?

Will you be able to afford to rebuild or replace the tranny if/when it eventually goes out?

The normal recommendation for your average stock internal daily driver is a TCI SSF3500, Yank SS3600 or SY3500 or Vig 3200. You can go bigger, which I suggest if you want to go FAST and don't mind listening to your exhaust a lot. Say TCI SSF4000, Vig 3600-3800, Yank SS4000 or ***** out with Yank PT4000.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1LE LS1
lookin for a stall preferrably a Yank but i am open to opinions
goin in an '02 SS
with these mods:

-full exhaust(long tubes,ory, catback)
-all inductions mods besides ported throttle body(FTRA,SLP LID,Smooth Bellow,K&N filter)
-dont know what gears my car has(it says on my 2.73 on my window sticker but its an SLP converted car and i was told i had 3.23 but i dont know)

plan to get a trans cooler with the stall..but dont know which one???
also, where does the cooler mount cuz if it is where i think then i will havta remove my FTRA since the lower duct mount rite in front of the A/C condenser

basically what i am askin...is with full exhaust and all induction mods(basically a stock car) what Stall do i need and what ALL other mods do i need to go with it???

thanks

BIG or you will be very unhappy
Old 07-05-2005, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
SEARCH!!

Get a B&M 24k gvw tranny cooler, trans-go shift kit, trans temperature gauge and preferably drag radials and nitto drag radials.

Is it a daily driver?

Do you go to the track much, if so will you use an ET street or better while there?

Will you be able to afford to rebuild or replace the tranny if/when it eventually goes out?

The normal recommendation for your average stock internal daily driver is a TCI SSF3500, Yank SS3600 or SY3500 or Vig 3200. You can go bigger, which I suggest if you want to go FAST and don't mind listening to your exhaust a lot. Say TCI SSF4000, Vig 3600-3800, Yank SS4000 or ***** out with Yank PT4000.

cam is in the future... bout a 224(or so) on a 112 lsa

not really any other MAJOR mods planned...

its somewhat a daily driver...

gas mileage is no worry...

drag radials are very possible...

i dont care to run at the track but its a possibility later on when i get my cam, its moreless just a fun street car...

i can always rebuild or replace the tranny but im very easy on my car i just like to get on it evry now and then(NOT very often)
Old 07-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Launching!

SEARCH!!

Is it a daily driver?

Ya what he said
Old 07-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1LE LS1
cam is in the future... bout a 224(or so) on a 112 lsa

not really any other MAJOR mods planned...

its somewhat a daily driver...

gas mileage is no worry...

drag radials are very possible...

i dont care to run at the track but its a possibility later on when i get my cam, its moreless just a fun street car...

i can always rebuild or replace the tranny but im very easy on my car i just like to get on it evry now and then(NOT very often)
Well in my opinion, with what your setup is now and what you have planned in the future, i would not go more than a 3800, it would be pefect for the cam and radials when you get them, and it will provide you with the seet of your pants feeling with your current setup.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just put a ss3600 in my car and love it, drives really well, with a cooler temps stay down. And she takes off like a raped ape when i put my cam in if its not enough it can always be restalled.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

where can i get me a good deal on a 3800
Old 07-06-2005, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

ok its offical i am gettin a Stall!!!

now i want between a 3500 and a 4000 for my daily driver, or somewhat of a daily driver. i want somethin i can install and have NO problems out of it. i dont wanna be messin with things all the time.

tell me this:

-which stall(size and brand)
-which trans cooler
-shift kit needed???
-trans guage

shoot me in the rite direction!!!

somebody give me a good estimate for this stuff. my mechanic is gonna install it for about $200 but what am i lookin at for what all i need to complete the job

thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

You still havn't searched!

You want people to just tell you which converter to get? Okay....Yank SS4000.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

You still havn't searched!

You want people to just tell you which converter to get? Okay....Yank SS4000.

man i have looked all over this website up and down for some stall info and have come up with some things and im not aksin for yall to Tell me which stall to get im simply askin for opinions or help...
Old 07-06-2005, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Trans gauge, get autometer with single a-pillar mount. Or a double or triple if there are any other gauges you'd like to add.

Shift kit go Trans-Go.

Converter is open. I like TCI in the bang for you buck category and they are easy to get a hold of with good customer service. I run the SSF4000 in mine. Yank SS4000 for tighter around town driver than other converters near that size, but it's expensive. Yank PT4000 or higher for ***** to the wall performance, but it will be loose around town. Also expensive. Vig (precision industries) makes good converters, remember that they stall higher than their name/rating suggests. Vig 3600 or so sounds about right, and you get a free restall if you ship it to them after changing your mind or mods.

I run the SSF4000 and am perfectly happy with it. I had it restalled recently from 3500. Originally I would have gone with an SS3600 if I could justify (or afford) the extra money, but the TCI performs just fine at the track and was very affordable.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

yeah mine will hardly see the track until i get my cam.
i just want somethin that is feels good around town but performs when it needs to.

blkz28spt...how is yours around town???

how necessary is the shift kit also???

like i stated b4... i just need a stall that feels good and performs well but will also work with about a 224/224 112 LSA cam(or somewhere in that range)

and one more thing...will i need a tune with this or can i just wait till i do gears and my cam???
Old 07-06-2005, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

How long till you do gears/cam? Some people get by fine without a tune, other need it more. I guess it depends. Newer cars need torque management edited more than the older ones, and sometimes shift points need to be changed. My SSF4000 is kinda loose around town but it doesn't bother me much. Only thing I don't like about the high stall speed is that the exhaust note is pretty boring running at the same rpm virtually the entire time I am accelerating. I would do the shift kit to firm the shifts up, they could use that stock but the converter will make it even looser on the shifts. The trannies in these things don't really like extra power. Do some searches or just go back looking through older posts and see how many guys lost their tranny. I am on a rebuilt unit myself after doing something very common and frying the 3-4 clutch pack.

All you need for a street car with seldom track use and a TR224 is about a 3500, but the higher you go the quicker the car will be, even on the stock cam. One you get a taste of what a converter does, you almost always want more.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

yeah man sounds good.
the TR224 was what i had in mind
i just want a 112 to give me that choppy idle

will prob be 6-8 months b4 cam and gears or maybe a tad longer...

what is a stall between 3500-4000 that will work with atleast a 228 cam, performs well, and is somewhat tight around town??????

hearin the exhaust with a stall is no prob for me but im sure it will grow old on me after a while