Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I do it?

Old 07-17-2005, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I do it?

Ok how feasible would it be for a regular backyard mechanic like myself to rebuild a 4l60e. Not talking replacing gears and such just wearable parts. My trans is fine but it would be nice to know how to rebuild one. I was thinking of getting one for cheap and doing it as an experiment. I know a company that put out a how to video thats pretty much step by step. Would be nice to have one waiting to go in if/when mine goes out. So pro guys chime in here also any amateurs that have done it also.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its similar to the 700R4, you can do it. I used to rebuild my 700R4 on my IROC. I got tired of paying Art Carr $1200 to rebuild it, and decided to tackle it myself. I did have to buy/make some tools (some of which I recently found again, when I moved). but as long as you lay everything in the order you took it out and replace the clutches & plates with new ones as you put it back together, you should be OK.

D
Old 07-17-2005, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Cool thats what I was thinking. Im think the 700R4 and the 4l60 are pretty similar. How your IROC do when you put the tranny in how much power was it putting out.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done it. Forget the video and get a manual with pictures.
The only picture you really need is one of the valve body because you ARE GOING TO take all the parts out of it.
You might need a picture of everything in the forward drum.
You also need good judgement on how to tell if a part is worn or not, like valve body bores, etc.
You can make or buy two different types of clutch spring depressors. You also need to improvise or get the tools for the sealing rings on the input shaft.

Don't use factory specs for the clutch clearances, this was one of my first mistakes, even on a stock rebuild.

FWIW I know a professional trans builder might read this, I build my own transmissions because I like doing it, I don't care if I was a millionare and could just drop my car off to get one done. I work on cars as a hobby because I like it, not because I don't trust someone elses work, (or whatever I've been accused of in the past).
Old 07-17-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1blackz28
Cool thats what I was thinking. Im think the 700R4 and the 4l60 are pretty similar. How your IROC do when you put the tranny in how much power was it putting out.
I had a zzz block put in there, then had that bored and stroked for the 383. Head porting and cam grinding was done by a company called Pacific Performance, who is no longer around. They also installed the Accel DFI and Super ram intake. I believe I was putting out about 430 HP IIRC.

I ended up buying an extra tranny and building that up, so when the clutches would start slipping, I would just have to R&R the tranny and then rebuild it when I had the time and money.

I used to put a ton of miles on that car, like 1000 a week.

It got stolen back in 95
Old 07-17-2005, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Thats awsome you guys are making me start to think the auto tranny isnt all voodo and fairy dust inside. jxaxsxoxn where did you get your manual at and what clearances did you use if not factory. BTW nice website love the nova.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1blackz28
Thats awsome you guys are making me start to think the auto tranny isnt all voodo and fairy dust inside. jxaxsxoxn where did you get your manual at and what clearances did you use if not factory. BTW nice website love the nova.
I used an ATSG manual. Thats Automatic Transmission Service Group.
Got it from JC whitney.
I got some performance specs from people online and from shift kit instructions.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Give it a shot, I had no prior experience with an auto trans and mine came out fine. [700R4]

Search this Thread