Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 4T60-E downshift problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OT: 4T60-E downshift problem

Sorry for a non-LS1 FWD post, but I think the 4T60-E shares a lot of it's internals with the 4L60-E, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

My mom has a '92 Buick Regal GS with the transverse 3800 V6 and 4T60-E transaxle with about 40k miles on it. Yesterday it developed a problem while she was driving home from work, where on the 3-2 downshift the tranny makes a very strong and pronounced "thud" sound, and it feels like hitting a speed bump.

This only happens on the 3-2 downshift; 4-3 and 2-1 downshifts are smooth, and all three upshifts are also smooth. It happens while slowing for a stop, or I can recreate the condition on command by manually operating the shift lever.

I checked the fluid, and the level is OK, but it has a light kind of burning brake pad smell. The color is a dull-red; not cherry-red like new fluid, but not brownish-red like burned fluid either. It's been about 2½ years (and ~7000 miles) since the tranny was last serviced, and she drives it like the proverbial Little Old Lady from Pasadena.

Is this just a matter of needing a good tranny flush and service, or is she looking at a rebuild in the near future? I'm not what you'd call a tranny expert, especially where automatics are concerned, so any information or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

-Brian

Quick Reply: OT: 4T60-E downshift problem