Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost 3rd after trans-go fuddle install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im running 3 with rebuilt clutches ect... i drilled some larger holes.. but not sure if i did what hes suggesting.. i have 5 pinion planets.. hardened shaft, updated front pump, hardened sungear ect... i have all these things cuz the stock parts took the brunt of a 150 shot off the line in place of my 10 bolt

ive put 10k on this setup, and changed the trans fluid today and it looked brand new still!

but ur right, listen to the pros, just dont get frustrated with that trans go!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

jw, could anyone share that info on the larger holes with me that pro built suggested? ill be installing a 3qt xtra deep pan from b&m here soon and that requires pulling the pan off naturally so maybe ill look into that lol!

i also just recently had tq managment removed since i got hte cam and hte mail order tune, and im pretty sure my well known dyno tuner messed with the trans adjustments some cuz its really shifting its *** off now!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Second Club

The way you are describing the 3-4 shift it does not sound like a tuning issue.. Definately sounds like something internally is messed up, but not sure if its the Trans-Go or not. Could just be bad clutches, bands, etc.. Send Dave@RockOn a PM and see if he can help you..
Old 08-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Restricted User

Thank God! But yes, definately get the new filter in.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Alright I'm getting ready to go back in it. Anything spec. to look for b/s the ***** being in the right spot. Man I hope it's that simple. Got a new filter too.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
I VERY seriously doubt that the fluid level has anything to do with your problems.. Lots of guys will run the 4L60E's with an extra quart on purpose and have 0 problems out of them..
I'm sure some will dissagree but I personally know a few guys that are doing this and I also know a guy that builds transmissions for living and is damn good with the 4L60E's and he has done this many times himself.
In addition to this, the 4L60E has an overflow vent tube. As long as the tube isn't crimped/clogged, any excess fluid will escape via the tube when the tranny gets hot.

My overflow vent tube is clipped to my torque arm, came that way from the factory.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

OK I might have found the problem. I may have put the roll pin in the wrong slot holding the valve in to far and at an angle. My new sep. plate gaskets will be in tomorrow so we'll see. I talked to Pro-Built and he believes that this may have caused it.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

very good possibility on the valve issue. if the 1-2 accumulator is in upside down it will cause a vary harsh shift, as there is no accumulation. double check all the checkball locations(it ok to use vaeline to hold them in place). if you removed the 2-4 servo in the side of the case to change the spring you may have rolled/torn one of the seals for 3rd and/or 4th apply fluid.

kevin
Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

OK It wasn't the valve. The roll pin won't go in where I thought I had it. All the ***** were in the right spot, the servo's are in right and the o-rings look alright. I talked to Carolina Auto Masters and he doesn't believe it's tuning. Any other suggestions. Does anybody think this may be just a trans failure. Could the convertor cause a problem like this. I also cleaned the valve body with brake/parts cleaner. Could a piece of trash in the valve body cause this.
BTW does any body have Rock-On's telephone # just in case.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From your first post it sounds like a tuning issue to me. I guess you could put the stock converter back in, but I doubt its the Fuddle unit. If the tranny was slipping it would slip all the way to redline. Poor part throttle shift points will cause symptons like you are describing ,and also the WOT shifts. You have introduced a component that is designed to slip and stall without compensating over the stock converter tune.

A bad 1st-2nd shift command in the program will make your tranny feel its toasted when infact its not.

I would also recommend getting someone to log your transmission while driving, and check your tranny temps. Too small hoses and even new coolers can obstruct flow causing heta buildup and slipping.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

FWIW, my first converter when in when I had almost 80,000 miles on the car. Converter went in Saturday morning, transmission was toasted Sunday night. The converter unlocked under load (going up a grade) and never locked back up. Within a few miles lockup was completely gone as was overdrive, and third gear was slipping BAD. We're talking 40 MPH @ 4500 RPMs bad maintaining speed on a flat piece of road.

So I'd say yes, it can happen. To me it sounds like you might have some toasted internals in that tranny.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

I finally talked to Trans-go (there website is blocked on my work computer) and he told me it sounded like I put the gaskets in the wrong way. He said they were marked but I don't see anywhere. I have looked at the gaskets and they are diff. We'll see if my new gaskets ever get here.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've re-used gaskets several times.
There is a C cut into the gasket that goes on the Case.
And a V on the gasket that goes on the Valve body.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

I would have re-used mine but they tore when I pulled it off. I look at them and I believe they were right.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

OK I just wanted to let everyone know that the car is shifting fine now. I know some of you may be wondering what was wrong, well so would I. I took everything apart twice and couldn't find anything wrong. The only thing I can figure is that I had some trash on a valve or something but it's shifting much better now. I also put in a new filter, valvebody gaskets, a new blue and red o-ring on the servo, and new o-rings on the two pistons. I didn't see anything wrong with them but who knows. It does seem to flare a little but nothing like it did b/f. I can actually feel it shift into third and od. I know that it's going to get better around the end of the month when I get paid and carolina auto masters works there mail order magic. At least until I can get up there and get it fine tuned. I will get some track times as soon as I can my wife is on the you spend more time with the car than you do with me and the girls kick again so may be awile. Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions from all.

Last edited by exstanger; 08-11-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Whew, it's better! Your converter problems were starting to scare me, seeing as mine showed up yesterday and I'm going to try to get it in soon!

Glad to hear it's okay. Hit me up on AIM sometime, I'd love to talk to you about it.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

most guys i have seen need a tune because alot of guys with the trans go seem to have problems tell they get the car tuned me i just going with a cooler and converter
Old 08-15-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I'm going to get it tuned at the end of the month. Talked to John at fuddle and he said it's confussing the computer on when to lock or not. Also when it shifts it backfires loud as hell I'm thinking this may be torque management but not sure. Tuner laughed when I told him and he said he would handle it for me.