Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo-400 makes sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turbo-400 makes sound?

I have a brand new reverse manual t-400 in my 99 SS. Today was the first day that I got to drive it after taking care of a couple of issues with the car. At first it was silent, but after abou5 50 miles of driving it, you can hear a sound coming from the trans as rpm's go up. I prety much didn't downshift it unless I was going 20mph or less. For the most part I was just crusing below 3200 rpms, but did punch it a couple of times. The sound is almost identical to an exaust leak, but sounds like its coming from the trans. I can hear it coming from the area were my shifter is.
Another thing that happened to it..is I was crusing for a while in 3rd. It was mostly a straight drive with only a couple of stop signs, so I just left it in 3rd, slowed in at the couple of stops a little, and then kept going. I dont think the trans liked this, because it started to almost slip. I would rev in 3rd and it would just slip. Then I went back to using 1st and 2nd gears, and after a few minutes 3rd gear was ok. I hope I didn't damage the trans by leaving it in 3rd for too long.
Overal the t-400 trans is an awesome mod. I love how it feels, but I dont want to blow that certain sprag that happens when you incorectly drive a reverse manual. Anyone have any advice? thanks
Old 08-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you think it's the trans and not an exhaust leak? I don't know what exhaust you have but it most likely got partially removed or got flexed around while the trans was getting changed.

If it slips somethings wrong. Does it have a vacuum modulator?

I have a RMVB TH400 in my nova that I built myself, it uses a plug in place of the vacuum modulator, this gives it max line pressure all the time (before someone says it will wear out the pump, it hasn't in three years and what do I care I have 8 spare pumps and five spare transmissions).
I broke my shifter cable once at the track and had to drive the car 35 miles home, I left it in third, it was a little slow on take off but it never slipped or burnt anything up.
I also downshift it and punch it, etc, I don't down shift it and coast though.