Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual valve body 700R4 shifting from 1st to 3rd?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual valve body 700R4 shifting from 1st to 3rd?!?!?

Earlier this summer I bought Chrispy's old Firebird and I just converted it to manual valve body 700R4... After doing the conversion we found out the tranny did not have enough line pressure and it was not shifting right at the track... Saturday was my 1st time out since getting that fixed. For some reason when I try shifting the ratchet shifter at WOT into 2nd, it ends up going into 3rd... so obviously the RPM's drop and the car falls on it's face... I still managed a new personal best (slip below)... It shifts fine when driving around normally, but a high RPM 1-2 shift actually put's the ratchet into 3rd and the tranny basically does 2 shifts and I end up in 3rd?!?! I have the passes on video and you can hear it bang 2 gears instantly...

We are going to change the shifter (it's a B&M Hammer ratchet shifter) and will check out the tranny as well... has this ever happened to anyone, and does anyone have any clue what might be the problem?

What do think the car would have run if I had all the 3 gears? We will be changing the shifter and checking the tranny this week and hitting the track again next weekend...

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

When ever you are installing a shifter you have to verify each position with the linkage on the tranny. The Hammer should work fine but make sure you removed the pin that converts it from a 3 speed to a 4 speed. Then start to verify each position by placing the shifter in 1st and making sure the pin goes in and out of the shift position arm on the tranny...then repeat for each gear/position on the shifter and tranny. It should move in and out freely and when your done tighten it down and install the cotter pin.

Good luck
Old 08-11-2005, 07:49 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would think its just barely out of adjustment to allow it JUST to pass 2nd and slide into the 3rd gear selector on the valve body.
i had this problem, and its a pain to get right.
when you are done, you are done, just patience 1st.
i have a quicksilver, so similar shifter linkage im sure.
how does park feel? mine was a lil hard to get into park when it wasnt adjusted properly.
not too bad, just enough to feel not normal.
good luck.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 PM
8 Second Club

My engine builder tried the car after we brought it back from the track and it shifted fine for him... we think I was pulling a little too hard on the ratchet and not letting it center itself after the shift... I am used to banging gears in a stick car... the shifter did not feel great, we took out the hammer and put in the Pro Ratchet shifter which is much smoother... we are going back to the track this weekend with 150lbs pulled out of the car and shooting for 10's... we also just put in a TNT ring kit with 100HP jets to try out
Old 08-12-2005, 01:49 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vmax1500
My engine builder tried the car after we brought it back from the track and it shifted fine for him... we think I was pulling a little too hard on the ratchet and not letting it center itself after the shift... I am used to banging gears in a stick car... the shifter did not feel great, we took out the hammer and put in the Pro Ratchet shifter which is much smoother... we are going back to the track this weekend with 150lbs pulled out of the car and shooting for 10's... we also just put in a TNT ring kit with 100HP jets to try out
150#
100 shot
10 for sure.
good day.
pro ratchet rocks. nice choice.
post up some times!!
Old 08-12-2005, 01:52 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TJ
150#
100 shot
10 for sure.
good day.
pro ratchet rocks. nice choice.
post up some times!!
Thanks... I want to see 10's on the motor It went 11.3 going from 1st to 3rd With all the 3 gears and 150lbs less weight, it should be interesting... 100 shot should take off .5 of a second...

Quick Reply: Manual valve body 700R4 shifting from 1st to 3rd?!?!?