Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift points question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift points question

my car is a 02 z28 with an A4 3,23 gears. my only mods are LMII and flopac and a larger y pipe. Im am wondering what my car in OD really shifts at when i floor it. When does the computer in my car shift gears.if if shifts at too low of an rpm would it help if i raised my shift points eventhough my car is stock. im intrested becaus i can find a good Programer for cheap and wondering if changing the shift points will benifit my car.
if i can change my shift points at what rpm does the stock motor stop making power?
i hope i made my question clear

i posted this in another section an got zero responses. maybe it was in the wrong section
Old 08-10-2005, 08:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Changing shiftpoints will improve performance but
the real gains are more in the part-throttle shifts,
for a stock motor car. Yeah, you can stay in gear
for another 500RPM at WOT. But kicking into 1st
when you want to be in 1st, priceless.

Handhelds will not do this for you, which is why
there are a lot of used ones floating around. Too
limited to keep once the mod bug bites down hard,
unless you are getting some kind of custom support.

Check out the dyno section for stock curves and
see where the HP falls off. I set my car up for
6000RPM shifts, seeing 6100 actuals, don't want
to go past 6500 with stock valvesprings is what
I've been told.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for your reply it was ver helpful
Old 08-13-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

what jimmyblue said. Nothing like hitting first gear going 35mph, stock programming will limit you to 30mph. I also suggest staying away from handheld programmers for the reason they dont allow you to do much. Get a program (ls1 edit/hp tuners,there are a few others but thoes are the big 2). With thoes you can change anything you like. You can change your upshifts,downshifts,shift timing,trans pressure,lock up,get rid of torque management and a ton of other things not to mention things with the motor like fuel/spark and the such. The programs will be very usefull to you in the future when you upgrade things and need to reprogram for your mods..
As for changing shift points, you really need to get a dyno sheet of your car and change the points accordingly. As a general rule you want to shift to the next gear when your 200rpm over your peak hp. So if you peak at 5,800rpm you would want to shift around 6,000rpm or so.. There are alot of variable things that go with it to figure out what is best but in all honesty you need to go to the track and see what works best for your car. I know that advice sucks,espically if you cant get to the track or have enough runs to make changes. With a stock cam peak power will generally start to drop after 6k rpm so you would want to sift before it falls off otherwise your wasting your time and actually slowing down before the shift..
Old 08-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Import Patrol

if you use a tunning type system to raise ur shift point, beware raising it too much, you will notice that when your at wot you might bounce off the rev limiter