Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix a leaky trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to fix a leaky trans cooler?

I got a Permacool 30,000 trans cooler, and when I put it on, I noticed it was leaking from the backside of were the barb hose fittings go on. At first I thought I didn't put the fitting on tight enough, but then I realized it wasn't leaking from there, but instead is leaking for the actual trans cooler. Its a small leak, nothing drastic. When the car is parked, it may leak 1 or 2 drops of trans oil every minute, but I am thinking it leak more when im driving and going WOT. Any thing I can put around it that might help? I know I should of just sent the cooler back, but I had just installed it and wanted to see how it compared to the B&M unit I had. Any advice? thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not familiar with that brand. Are the fittings threaded in? If so, unthread them and use some teflon pipe thread tape. If not, I would trash it, unless it's in an easy place to weld.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Import Patrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you are at wot your pressure in your trans will be higher causing a bigger leak. I don't think it is worth a $2,000 screw up, i would just take it out and get another one, if you are hard up to drive the car, get some brass fittings and reconnect the lines, and drive with out a cooler for now