Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building up a th400 or glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i recommend a glide with a set-up like what your going with for several reasons, one is with the low gear you can spool the turbo up plenty off the line and leave with more boost compaired to a th-400 having a higher first you will need to leave with less boost which isnt as good. Also the light car is a wives tail my neighbor runs 10.5 with a glide and a boosted car and he weighs 3100 so its lighter then our stock cars but im assuming you will be lightening the car considering the power you are putting to it i would think you dont have all the luxuries (Radio,a/c,power steering etc.) I would go with rossler or talk to this guy hutch www.hutchtrans.com he makes some sick stuff and deals with "RACE" cars and if anything he will give you some awesome advice. My neighbor knows him very well and he is like a freak with his transmissions he runs test and stuff to find out what combos work the best i would definnately give him a call for info if anything. Good luck on your car. I just picked up a th-400 from rossler by the way and he said he can make a th-400 hold serious power like your talking for under $3000 if i remember correctly.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

Ok, thanks for the input. The car is really not going to be that light b/c of the turbo and the huge air to water intercooler. Also it has a 9" in it so that adds more weight. I will not have power steering but i will have a radio in the car. The cage is all chrome moly.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, a glide is so easy to build that I recomend building it yourself and saving some $$. Another thing that is so nice about a glide is after you launch the car you bang the shifter one time and your done.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 AM
7 Second Club

if it sees alot of street a TH400 will be the best....

give ATI a call... they can set you up... they are building a th350 for me to hold 1000hp....

a th400 wouldnt be that hard... drum, sprag, input shaft, up line pressure to clutches.... make sure and have all the correct clearances done by a race tranny shop/proffessional

you can also have the lower first gear put in.... like a 2.42 i believe...

i just got done doing all this research myself about 1.5 weeks ago.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:55 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would call Hutch at Hutch Transmission Service (contact info above) or Carl Rossler. We have a my TH400 from Rossler and Harlan's Glide from Hutch. Both are bad *** units and have worked flawlessly since day one. They're built to take the power and they will not mislead you on what it takes.

As far as glide vs TH400 it's all relative. If you're willing to wait another two weeks we're going to do the comparison test on Kevin's car with the Glide. Then we'll know the exact difference between the glide and the 400 on the car. Overall, with it being a race car with some street driving there are all sorts of compromises for one versus the other that it's a wash in the end. We've put a few hours of street time on Harlan's car before. We've done the same with Kevins. Both behave equally well all things considered.

I hope that's useful information. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

yeah thanks for the help guys. Let me know how your comparison turns out
Old 10-02-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All things being equal...... when i talked to Carl Rossler about the trans setup for me we decided on a Glide for two reasons. One the 1.80 first gear is really going to help on the launch and alow more boost at the line and two its wayyyyyy cheaper to build a Glide to take the same HP as a TH400.
Im not scared about driving my setup on the street and i plan on logging many trips around town to see how she does.

Kyle
Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

what ratio can you get for the th400 2nd gear?