Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help to separate Trans from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to separate Trans from Engine

The ls1's have 9 bolts holding the bellhousing of the 4l60e to the engine. The problem i have run into is that the dowel does not want to separate itself. The dowel is causing the transmission to remain connected to the engine. Simple methods of wiggling the transmission with a jack underneath have not worked, nor has pry bars and bottle jack pushing against trans towards differential. Has anyone ever run into this problem and how would i go about correcting this? The transmission needs to be separated or else there is no way to service the transmission. Any Ideas?
Old 09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

I ran into this problem. There are two alignment dowels as it seems you know, what I did is take a 3/8" ratchet extension and a sledgehammer to pound the dowels out backwards towards the transmission. the tranny should seperate easily after that.

No amount of kicking/jiggling would get mine loose...
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

I've seen that problem many times. If you look at the passenger side dowel often it's rusted. Get something penetrating on there to assist. WD40 is what I used. There's some other lubricant others reccomend that works better, but I don't recall what it is called.

Laying on my back under the tailshaft, I rocked mine back and forth, side to side and up and down with a jack under the pan and it popped off finaly.

I was more stubborn than it was
Old 09-08-2005, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

you did unbolt the converter from the flexplate first didnt you?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
you did unbolt the converter from the flexplate first didnt you?
I hope he did! Didn't think of that possible mistake!
Old 09-08-2005, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

Deep Creep is a heavy duty WD40 had to use it on mine once. Make sure the converter is unbolted and try using two jacks one to support under the pan and another under the tail shaft to support it so you don't have any weight working against you, you need to come straight back with it - no angling down.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

mine did the same thing it just took 3 of us to move it in 3 diff. directions OR use 2 jacks 1 on engine and 1 on tranny and jack the front of the engine(tipping it backwards) and jack the rear of the tranny (lowering the front of the tranny) and that should break them loose. see Marines really aint that dumb huh?? it took us awhile to figure this 1 out but it worked well