Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This Normal

Old 09-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Normal

I have an 01 SS A4. I've noticed that if I launch the car, manually in first, when I shift it into second, no matter what rpm its at it'll shift at that time. Also, If I leave the car in OD and launch, it goes right up to 6000 and shifts fine. I've also noticed if I shift it into 2nd or 3rd and launch the car from a dead stop, it'll bog like its starting in that gear. I have ASR and it does the same thing if its on or off. Is this normal and if not, then what could be causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's normal for it to shift into second when ever you move the shifter to second.
If you put the shifter in second it will start out in second also.
GM changed this some time in the mid 90's for some reason.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks so much for the response. I just thought when racing, from a dead stop, I could manually start in first and as soon as I get going, just pop it up in second around 4500 and with WOT it'll continue to 6000. Didn't know it'll change gears at WOT whenever you do. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLEDGE
Thanks so much for the response. I just thought when racing, from a dead stop, I could manually start in first and as soon as I get going, just pop it up in second around 4500 and with WOT it'll continue to 6000. Didn't know it'll change gears at WOT whenever you do. Again, thanks for the help.
You really shouldn't be manually shifting anyway. If you stopped the car will start in first when you step on it. No need to put it in first.

Search this Thread