Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans not downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the stock converter in there right now. im located in browns mills. right beside mcguire afb and fort dix.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

well you should be thinking of an aftermarket converter espically with the cam you have.. Im upgrading my midwest converter to a fuddle and will be selling my midwest 3,000 stall so if your looking to change the converter i could sell you mine for 250 if your sure your converter is bad or if you just want to upgrade. Hell we might get a better deal on the install if we both go together.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Teching In

im definitely gonna upgrade my converter. how exactly do you tell if its bad. i just pulled the pan again and drained the fluid. it was a dark color not bright red. however there were no shavings or chunks of anything. it looked like the fluid had silver sparkles in it. i put it all back together with new fluid and filter again. as soon as i pulled outta the drive way i punched it at about 25mph and it wouldn't kick down. it shot like a rocket three times from a dead stop. then on the fourth it seemed like it started in second and then jumped to fourth and felt like the converter locked up all one after the other. then as soon as it finally made it to about 50mph i left off and punched it. it kicked down and took off fine. is there a possibility of a valve sticking or is the converter bad. im about to say screw it and switch to a 6 speed.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Teching In

well i just took it to a tranny shop. they said its definitely electrical. there is nothing wrong with the trans itself. he seems to think its the pressure control solenoid. its not getting the right volts, but its still operational. therefore the computer wouldn't pop a code for it. hell if i know im just gonna drop it off there and let him figure it out.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

where are you taking it. if they pull the trans ill have my midwest converter out possiably tomorrow if you want to buy it. 3k stall 2.0str
Old 10-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Teching In

ive got the pan off once again. im gonna change the pressure control solenoid and see if that fixes it. i have it out now i just have to find the damn part.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Teching In

well after some more reviewing i believe i have found the problem. when i had the cam installed i didn't change the min/max for the MAP. there is a thread on here that talks about that. it will make your car start off in second gear if its not changed.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Teching In

well i just had it tuned for the MAP. so far so good. i ripped it off the line twice and it worked perfect. tomorrow night will be the real test at atco.