Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo with my SSF3500?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transgo with my SSF3500?

I have a TCI SSF3500 in my office collecting dust and the time has come to install it. I have a 99 Formula with 3.23 gears and stock 4L60E. According to me research here the 98-00 models have little or even no issues with TM and deleting that may not be needed.

I will be calling a sponsor (new era performance) later today to see about installing the TC, tranny cooler and possibly shift kit. They charge 120 for the transgo (only one they sell) and if I remember right, something like $150 to install it. If I skip that it'll save me $270 that could go towards SFC or something else. But if it's really worth it then I'll spend the money on it now. I know if I ask them they will say do it because it's more money for them, so I'm asking here first.

1). Car is not a daily driver

2). Tranny is working perfectly atm

3). I will go to the track with it

4). I do not have any LS1 progarm or hand held units

What do you guys think? Pay for a tune, pay for the transgo or just have them install the TC and tranny cooler and then call it a day?

Thanks for any advice
Old 10-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Do a (title only) search on Transgo on this forum and you will find a ton of material to consider. I used the "modified" kit from Pro-Built and am extremely happy with it. Not only does it improve shift quality from the typical "soft shift" caused by hi-stall converters, he specs out the increases in separator plate feed hole sizes to accommodate your converter. This is important for tranny life and health when going to a smaller aftermarket converter. My short answer is "yes" - Transgo and tuning.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as tuning do you mean deleting tourqe management, +/- shift points, and adjusting line pressure?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

01 & 02 need TM deleted; It should be ok on an 00. I didn't touch mine and it doesn't need it. Nor did I fool with line pressure. I'm not sure that there's a lot of benefit to be had by messing with the PCM settings for that. Shift point tuning has been really helpful for me.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did the transgo full race shift kit and it cost me 1.5 mph in the 1/4. i am assuming that tqm is the suspect as it was the only variable changed. however, i have a 4k stall now, so the shift kit is appreciated.