Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did converter install go when you installed it OR how much did you pay a shop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my fuddle 3400 2.0 str installed with cooler the tranny place charged me 150.00 which i figured wasnt to bad, and i love the converter by the way.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:41 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Good time to replace the front/rear seals on the trans, too.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

definetly get a buddy to help, things will go alot easier. I had a good friend help install my Fuddle 3400/2.1 last weekend on a lift and it was still a pita.

The main problem we had was breaking the trans loose from the motor. It was stuck on the two dowel pins and would not seperate even after placing a jack under the engine and lowering the trans so both of used a prybar on either side and eventually got the trans free after about 30 mins. If you run into this problem clean the holes in the bellhousing with some sandpaper and the (2) dowel pins as well. I also put some grease on the pins to help with re-install.

I slotted that plastic cover behind the starter at the top so it could slide back up into place. That way if I ever need to get back there I don't have to completely remove the starter again. Also changed my rear input shaft seal which was leaking slightly, got one from NAPA for $6.
Your Fuddle comes with new bolts (thank god) because the stock allen head bolts suck. I have no idea why GM used these but they were also a bitch to get out. We ended up using a pipe on the end of the wratchet to break them loose. Be sure to use Loctite on the new bolts.
The clips on the cooler lines are fun, we used a pick to get them off.
Can't think of anything else that hasen't been mentioned already here.
Take your time installing the new converter in the trans and make sure it's in all the way. It might seem like it dosen't want to go in but keep twisting and pushing and eventually it does. Best tip don't spill trans fluid on your engine, make sure the funnel is empty before pulling it out of the dipstick tube. I know a dumbass who did that and still has fluid dripping down between the back of the motor and bellhousing a week later

good luck.
stock converter weighs 54 lbs. I think the Fuddle was 32.

Last edited by SLPSS01; 10-22-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smask04C5
how about a vette? how much?
I'm wondering this also.
Ed
Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
Make sure you put your clips that hold the trans lines in place before you put your trans back up then the lines will stick back in.I put mine in after the trans was back in and the next day my line blew off and lost all my fluid luckily it did not hurt the trans.Must not of had the clip in all the way.
Thread is 6 and a half years old...