Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe to drive in this condition?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Safe to drive in this condition?

My flexplate bolts came lose. Have a nice knocking type sound at idle that goes away if you move the revs up to about 1,500, otherwise drives perfectly normal. I have already driven the car several hundred miles in this condition. I called the shop to verify the plan for Friday and he really didn't like the idea of it being driven in this condition, mentioned something about the balance being off and possibly fewking up the motor. He thought I would/should be trailering it. I don't have a tow vehicle or trailer but could manage to go that route if I really wanted to, it would just be a bit of a PITA. What is the chance of messing up the motor? Should I worry about driving it a few hours to the shop? Having already driven it hundreds of miles as is I get the feeling that either nothing will happen since it hasn't yet, or I already messed it up but don't know it yet.

If something were to mess it up would I notice? Will driving a couple hundred miles further make a difference at this point?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Motor was fine, but I saw a car with a damage converter and bell housing courtesy of a broken bolt.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't keep driving it better get it took care of first!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure its the flexplate and not the torque conveter bolts?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

It will be taken care of shortly. (finally) It goes in at 9am tomorrow (friday) morning.

I am sure it is the flexplate bolts. This is something speed has seen before in other cars with the TCI flexplate and was diagnosed first had by by Louis G.

The way things sit now I will be driving it from West Lafayette to Schaumburg tomorrow morning as is. It's my daily driver/only car and I first had it diagnosed and talk to speed three weeks ago so it's seen a fair amount of miles already. Not like I can just park it for three weeks or anything....

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 10-27-2005 at 12:07 PM.