Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lube Gard! Shudder problem fix?? (ST3500)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lube Gard! Shudder problem fix?? (ST3500)

This product was recommended by Mike @ Yank http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf.html
I bought the product at my local Car Quest it can also be found at Napa.

He advised me to try this out to get rid of my shudder problem associated w/ the ST3500. For those that don't know, there are a handful of people that are experiencing shuddering problem after lock up (45mph) and I am one of those people. See link https://ls1tech.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=2&t=001046 . I've tried everything, changed to stock MAF..relearn..nothing, changed fluid & filter..once again nothing. I'm crossing my fingers on this one guys.

I called the tech line and they said it should take 50-100 miles before the problem would be gone. They also said if the problem persists to add another bottle. I just added it to my tranny and will update you guys as thing (hopefully) change.

I also found this on their site http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/t...dder_fixx.html

Peace
Old 02-24-2002, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Lube Gard! Shudder problem fix?? (ST3500)

hope it works for you.Just installed my new PT4000 after having problems with my ST3500 hope the car is faster now.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wonder if it would be good to do right after the install of a new converter. hmmmm Let us know what happens.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

keep us updated
Old 02-25-2002, 01:37 AM
D(irecto)r Pepper

Once the clutch is glazed by low line pressure.... it takes a while to "deglaze".

Removing the ported MAF ends after the clutch was glazed wont fix the prob.

Reprogramming the PCM after the clutch is glazed wont FIX the prob.

Removing the glaze with a friction midifier such as the product your using is the only way short of replacing the clutch that I know of, that will cure your probs. It wont fix it over night...give it while. Lock and unlock your lock up while your driving.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:44 AM
D(irecto)r Pepper

Copied off my web page.

[quote]
Curing TCC shudder

Most TCC shudder problems can be fixed without removing the transmission from the vehicle. Since the most common cause of shudder is incorrect coefficient of friction, correcting this condition will eliminate most TCC shudder problems.

As discussed earlier, automatic transmission fluid is made with special modifiers that affect the friction characteristics of the clutch. However, these modifiers break down with time and usage which can lead to TCC shudder. In these cases, a simple fluid change (complete) will correct the shudder.

In instances where the shudder problem began just after a fluid change, the wrong fluid may have been used, in which case a complete flush may be necessary.

After the transmission fluid has been changed -- using the correct fluid, it may take several clutch engagements (5-20) for the new fluid to soak into the friction material. This can be accomplished by tapping the brake pedal while driving at cruise speed to repeatedly cycle the TCC.

In cases where the friction material has become glazed, an additive will usually give the fluid the proper coefficient to prevent shudder. Additives come in sizes ranging from 2 ounce tubes to pint size containers.

However, if the fluid is severely burnt or shows metal contamination, the transmission will need to be removed for proper repair.
<hr></blockquote>

Good luck.

John Campbell

Quick Reply: Lube Gard! Shudder problem fix?? (ST3500)