Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is my tranny whining?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why is my tranny whining?

I have a stock 4l80e with at Yank SC3000 converter. I have been getting a horrible rattle sort of noise around 1800rpm for a while now, but now I also have a pretty loud whine and i feel like the truck has alot less power. Also, the other day i put it in R when it was very cold out, gave it some gas, and nothing happened. I put it back in park and tried again and it was fine. I also noticed that when it's cold it seems like i have to give more gas to get the truck to go. when it warms up it seems better, but still not the way it should be. What do i do?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
I have a stock 4l80e with at Yank SC3000 converter. I have been getting a horrible rattle sort of noise around 1800rpm for a while now, but now I also have a pretty loud whine and i feel like the truck has alot less power. Also, the other day i put it in R when it was very cold out, gave it some gas, and nothing happened. I put it back in park and tried again and it was fine. I also noticed that when it's cold it seems like i have to give more gas to get the truck to go. when it warms up it seems better, but still not the way it should be. What do i do?
when was the last time u checked the tranny fluid? it might be low. as for the laziness when its cold, well its like u said it stone cold and will go away when it warms up. what kind of mileage do u have on the tranny, and when was the last time u had it serviced? id say get a full tranny flush with a new filter and start from there. u could have some crap gumming up the valve body. start with the little things and see if that helps. also have a real good tranny place take a look at it and see what they say. also as for the reverse thing the shift linkage might be loose or need adjustment. hope this helps.
Erik
Old 11-27-2005, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would not drive it anymore then you need to....usually when they start to whine its either because the fluid is way to low or the front pump is getting ready to go out on ya
Old 11-27-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
I would not drive it anymore then you need to....usually when they start to whine its either because the fluid is way to low or the front pump is getting ready to go out on ya
ok, the pump is what i was thinking too. The guy who installed the tc checked the fluid the other day and said it looks great. I'm gonna bring it back to him tomorrow and ask about the pump etc.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was whining really bad, unless I was in park, neutral or the converter locked up. Ended up being the converter
Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slowmofo
My car was whining really bad, unless I was in park, neutral or the converter locked up. Ended up being the converter
the guy who installed it thought it was the converter too. I called Yank and they said it doesn't sound like that's what it is. hmmm, i hate to pay to have the stock verter put back in, pay to have the yank looked at, then pay to have the yank put back in. this sucks. i need a lift and some mechanical knowlege. lol I should just buy a new tranny with a high stall converter, probably be cheaper.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my converter wined like the front pump, when they go bad. I was about to pull the tranny out to rebuild it again, but I noticed the whine would go away when the verter locked up. I called my Converter guy and he confirmed it. told me to bring it in and he would open it up with me there. cost would be 150-300 depending on whats wrong with it. I payed 600 for the thing so I thought that would be cheper then a new one
Old 11-29-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

well, it turned out to be nothing. I just got back from new england transmission. they road tested it with a techII style scanner and inspected the fluid/pan etc. Everything is functioning perfectly. I guess i must have been hearing the whipple whining and thought it was the tranny. I feel much better now. Almost time to order the 408