Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking fluid level with trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking fluid level with trans cooler

Sounds kind of dumb but I am about a Qt. low on the dip stick just just at the hot level line. I had a converter and trans cooler installed the other day. Now if the trans is running cooler would it be enough to keep the level out of the hot zone?

Chris
Old 12-16-2005, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you added a trans cooler, you will need to add more fluid to make up for what is in the cooler now. I would add more to fill it up to the line. Make sure you are using the proper procedure for measuring it though. Everything up to temp, flat sureface and engine running.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HOT and COLD reading do not mean that the trans is fluid is hotter than usual, it refers to if the car sat overnight and all the fluid drained back to the pan. The dipstick is not a temp gauge to see how hot the trans fluid is, get a gauge or scanner for that. On the COLD FILL mark is where you check if the car has sat for a long period of time, check the HOT FILL mark after the car has been running for a couple of minutes. Best way to check the fluid is after the car has warmed up and the trans has circulated the fluid through itself. By your question, you are a QT low. Yes, adding a cooler typically requires an additional QT of fluid more.