Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 2 3 Drive or just keep in drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 2 3 Drive or just keep in drive

i know 1 2 3 drive is there for a reason. But honestly does this make a lot of difference and does anyone constanly drive around doing the 1 2 3, i heard this kinda screws up the car.........01 ws6 A4
Old 01-16-2006, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been countless debates on this topic. I have read them all and have come to the following conclusions:

1). Upshifting from 1 to 2 to 3 is fun (almost like simulating a manual only without a clutch). But it adds a little extra wear and tear on your tranny so should be done in moderation (if at all).

2). Downshifting manually (like putting it into 1 while you're doing 35 mph) is VERY, VERY, VERY bad and should not be done at all. Alot of guys still do it if they are caught in a spur of the moment challenge on the street but I still recommend against this.

3). Shifting manually at the track will NOT make your car faster in the 1/4 mile. If it does then you have transmission or tuning issues that should be identified and corrected. D or OD and letting the computer do its job is generally considered the best way to drag race.

4). Avoid a 3 to 4 shift at WoT. This is also very bad for the transmission. 2.73 geared cars need not worry (shift occurs at over 160 mph). But 3.23's need to watch out on spirited highway runs. This shift happens somewhere around 135 mph. This has nothing to do with manual shifting but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Hope this helped you.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

thanks it did. why is it even there then
Old 01-16-2006, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peteTA
thanks it did. why is it even there then
No problem. GM put them in so you can downshift in the event you're having trouble getting up a steep hill. It's supposed to be for emergency use only on those times you're towing a jetski up a mountain

It's fun to do the 1-2-3 thing yourself on occasion. Just don't get carried away with it and your tranny will last longer.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Restricted User

i tend to do this alot because sometimes my 1-2 shifts occur early if i leave it in Drive, rarely but it happens....so i shift 1-2 my dam self lol..also KEEP in MIND i have a b&M shift kit with the hardest setting and it shifts pretty hard 1-2...2-3 with the shift kit is kinda like 1-2 on a stock car if not alittle harder...but no problems so far shifting manually for me...i dont do it as much as before because sometimes i feel like im hurting something..but im putting in a tranny cooler in the next couple weeks...to go with my turbo setup lol