Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I replace the shift solenoid???????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I replace the shift solenoid???????

Today I was driving my car and my SES light came on. Then I lost 1st and 4th gear, I knew it was a solenoid problem. I had a friend who is a mechanic check the error code and it said the B solenoid was stuck open. He erased the code and I got my gears back. It appears to be working properly again. The question is should I replace it or will it be fine. He said it might be fine now.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would wait a little bit to see if it does it again. If it does, then don't worry. The part is only like $30 if I can remember correctly and it is pretty simple to install. If you decide to do the install, make sure the GM parts dealer gives you a diagram of the valve body in the transmission. This will show you which one it is and how to put it back together since there are springs and rods that go in with it. The hardest part of the whole install is trying not to make a mess. Its a pretty simple task. I'd wait though before having to spend money, and mostly time, doing the swap.

BTW, thanks for your service.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks. I'm gonna wait and see if it sticks again. Is there anything I can add to the fluid to clean internal parts? Lucas trans additive maybe?

I just got home about a week ago, I need to change that.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

don't you lose 2nd gear too, I have had that light came on and I was left with only 3rd gear until I turned the car off and turned it back on.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem. After getting my stall, driving around in OD would cause it to come on, after a few miles of street driving. I replace both solenoids, and the code came back. Now, I drive around, in D, on the street, and it has never come on. I have had the slip code deleted, and this didn' t seem to help. Of course, unless it really wasn' t deleted. Regardless, if you were driving under similar conditions, when it came on, I am sure by changing the shifter position, you' ll be okay.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you just put a converter in, if so you need the code shut off. radz282003 i bet the code wasnt shut off or the wrong code was turned off. Common codes are p0751 and p0757 and both will make you loose gears.