Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinkind of stalling my 98 Z.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Thinkind of stalling my 98 Z.

I have tried to sell it, and i will not give the car away. So i think i shall keep her

Anyways, I have always wanted to stall my car, and now I am getting the funds together, I think I will.

I got a 98 Z, mods in sig, nothing special. Also have the hypercrap tune for line pressure. My car has 121k miles, and the trans feels great, but do you guys think i should go ahead and get the tranny rebuilt while its out? what size should i go with? do these stalls still lock up, or will i have to buy one that is a lock up type? I still want the converter to lock..... Should i get a tranny cooler for it?

Also it has 2.73's , but i plan on changing that mid summer anyways.

Thanks for any and all help
Charlie
Old 01-18-2006, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First the tranny if it feels good probly dosent need rebuilt but i would do it any way because you keep stalling it up and launching it and it will wear out pretty quick. As far as size it depends on what you want and if you are fore sure gunna change gears or not i kept my 2.73 and i went with a 3400/2.0 from fuddle talk to john at fuddle about what size he will help you out. Most converters for are cars are lock up type i know fuddle will give you a lock up converter for a good price. Finally you will definatly need a tranny cooler with a stall fuddle has those when you buy the converter or you can get one from b&m.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

I would leave the trans alone until it just goes. I keep thinking mines going to fail soon but it keep's on working 100+ passes 75k stock. You need to have a good cooler & with 2:73 I would get a nice high str. A out of the box TCI3500 would do nicely. When I first got my car it also was a 2:73 car & I put in a Yank sth3200 & it cut 5/10th off my 1/4 mile times. You might have to adjust the shift points once the converter goes in so you done hit the limiter on 2-3 shift.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

A nice 3500+ stall should do you fine. Get a cooler for it and the get shifts points adjusted and you will be wondering why you did not get a stall years ago..
Old 01-19-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1 do very well with higher stalls, as long as you stay n/a i'd go no less than a 3500. With a 2.73 rear gears, i'd go with a higher STR as it'll help make the stall feel tighter at low speeds. I would definatly put some money aside for a new trans if you don't rebuild this one, as mine died recently(Car has 90K about 15K was with the stall). Enjoy the .5sec drop in your 1/4mile..